Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Printer "offline"

Printer "offline"

Now please be nice to me. I know very little about computers and desperately need some help.

My printer (an hp deskjet 5100) has stopped working. I send things to print and nothing happens. I call up the list of print jobs and it says "printer offline." I look at the printer and the light isn't on. I check the connecting cable, fine. I unplug the printer and plug it back in. I turn the laptop off and then on again. I check the printer in the other USB ports to check it's nothing wrong with them. Basically I do everything that people who know nothing about computers do. Still the laptop and printer won't recognise each other. I don't think there's a loose connection anywhere. Not long beforethis happened I clicked "Yes" to the computer asking me if I wanted to auto update my HP software. Could this be the cause of all this? If so how can I combat the problem?

I really really need to get this fixed before tomorrow, so if anyone could let me know what I should do I would be eternally greatful

Unistall and reinstall...but if the printer isn't being recognised that may not work.

What version of Windows?

Do you have any other USB devices?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

It's windows XP, and all my other USB devices work in every port, it's just the printer that it refuses to acknowledge.

I don't have a CD to reinstall the printer, whether that's because it was one of those automatic ones, or whether it's in the box the printer came in, which in my parents attic, miles away I don't know. (I got the computer a few years ago through disabled students support, so the guy who delivered it set it up, and installed all the software.)

You should first right click the printer from Printers and Faxes, and cancel all print jobs running in the printer.
    You can then delete the printer.
    Unplug the USB cable.
    You then click Add Printer>Local Printer> select the USB port that exists>when the list of printer files come up, select your HP Deskjet 5100 printer from the included XP list and load the printer.
    Plug in the USB cable. Windows should detect the printer and prompt to finish the installation.
    Try printing a test page from the printer properties (right click and select properties).

The drivers are available on the HP site...you may want to grab them anyway,as they may be a bit more up to date than what was previously installed.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    I too went with an HP update after letting it scan my system and load the latest drivers. Following said update, the two printers involved went belly-up on me. I wound up removing both and loading the XP drivers to get functionality back...

HP can have their updates...
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

I've found it is usually better to get the full package from the HP site than to let the auto-update or the hardware wizard do it...I just have fewer problems that way.

I thought perhaps the updates HP discovered when it scanned my system might provide some unique functionality that would rival the Starship Enterprise... Or better, print me up the winning Power Ball numbers...

Alas, it turned out to be nothing but a saddle burr...

Have gotten the CD from my parents house and tried to uninstall and reinstall the printer. The uninstall worked fine, but it can't seem to detect the printer to reinstall. So now I'm in even more trouble. Oh yeah, and the last time I unplugged and replugged my printer the little light that tells you you've run out of paper appeared, though there's lots of paper there.
    Why oh why did I agree to that stupid update?
    What can I do? Any ideas? Did you install the drivers from their website whyzman and that sorted it all out?

Oh and PrntRhd I tried your idea first and my printer wasn't listed, so I clicked on have disk, inserted the disk, and the "add printer wizard" stopped responding and basically froze on me.
    Last edited by Kate_45; 07-01-2006 at 03:27 PM.

The trouble could be caused by ghost drivers. Try rebooting into safe mode, and removing every printer from there. Then reboot normally, and Install the drivers, before you plug the printer in. Usually, the driver installation progam will ask for the printer to be connected and swiched on at some point. Hp printers do not like being plugged it with no drivers installed, and the installation may well crash!
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

No, I didn't install drivers from HP's site. Instead, I removed the nasty "updated drivers" and let Windows XP install the drivers from the XP disk...

If you are using system restore then try restoring to a point before you made the update.

If USB drivers go wrong they can be very hard to get right again without reinstalling or repairing the installation of Windows. You could try removing all USB entries in Device Manager and rebooting but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

printer offline

Depends on the OS but the following ALWAYS works regardless:
    Go into control panel --> printers
    double click on the offending printer
    attempt clear the jobs using CANCEL
    IF access denied, close the spool window and right click DELETE on the
    offending printer and ignore the printer for a while.
    click on ADD A PRINTER
    install the same printer but AS ANOTHER NAME
    print a test page and voila.
    periodically try to CANCEL the jobs in the old printer name, and once
    successful, DELETE the unwanted printer.
    IF you liked the old name, use RENAME after the old printer is DELETEd.
    END IF
    END IF

Hello
    I am maria from London. I read your comment and understand your thread. I think your printer driver corrupted then reinstall your printer driver if not solved this problem so please open your printer and cleaned the printer circuit with blower. I think might be problem solve it....

Thread Information