Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: USB Controller: Drivers not installed [code 28]

USB Controller: Drivers not installed [code 28]

Problem:
    1. To identify this USB Controller.
    It's listed in Device Manager as "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller".
    The driver update wizard names it as..."Via PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller" when it is searching for a driver on the driver CD.
    I think I have the correct driver CD, but no driver is found there for this item.
    Instead it finds "C:\Windows\inf\oem2.inf".
    When I give it the go-ahead to install this it says...
    "Installation failed...function driver was not specified for this device instance."

I've upgraded to win2000pro so I'm installing new drivers and software having uninstalled them [as per Win2000 "Upgrade Report" demanded] before the upgrade.

See image below...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sylvander; 07-06-2006 at 10:58 AM.

So then I run "Unknown Device Identifier".

The ONLY device in the list that seems to resemble the problem device [its given name is IDENTICAL to the name used in "Device Manager" = "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller", and no other has a name even nearly identical] is shown in the image below.

The driver I have is for a "Mercury KOB-USB2V4 USB 2.0 I/O Controller Card".
    ["Mercury KOB-USB2V4" is the key to finding this]
    I downloaded their latest driver from HERE , and ran the installer exe file, but it seemed to make no difference, so I'm wondering if the problem controller may be the older USB 1.1 controller that has nothing connected to it right now.

THIS hardware matches the the "VT6202" and description in "Unknown Device Identifier", but the page says that the drivers for this are included in Win2000.

Any ideas?
    Have I misidentified the problem device?
    Is it actually the USB 1.1 that needs a driver?

Should I just disconnect the USB 1.1 card with its 2 sockets [I have made use of them at various times for things that don't need high speed]?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sylvander; 07-06-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Found a Knowledge Base question titled Universal Serial Bus 2.0 Support in Windows 2000.
    One of the "Optional" hardware updates at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com fixed the problem.

Thread Information