Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: unable to save flash animations from net

unable to save flash animations from net

Hi all,

i visit websites which contain learning stuff including flash animations on their web pages. When i try saving the web page on my pc, the text and other images are saved, but the flash animations are not. How can i solve this problem.

Thanks.

When using Internet Explorer, you can go to "Ctrl Panel" | "Internet Options" | "General" under "Temporary Internet Files" section, choose "Settings". Click "View Files" and order by type. You'll find the shockwave files here.

I presume Firefox should keep them in the cache directory, under the Application Data/Mozilla folder, that is in C:\Documents and Settings\*username*. My folder didn't have any shockwave files there though. Maybe it's cause of one of my settings.

While I don't like IE anymore, it is still useful in very specific situations. Downloading swf files I want is one example of this.

Quite a few sites have their content protected so that you can't download them... That could also be the problem...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Thanks Pangea33, i found the SWF files (that use Macromedia flash player).

However, there were some other files too that were using "Adobe Shockwave Player"; those couldn't be found. May be these fall in the category that Budfred pointed out above. I m not sure.

Well, i guess i better tell what exactly i m tryin to do. i visited the howstuffworks site and wanted to have some of their animations saved on my pc, so that i may watch them being offline at some later time. Some of the animations had options like "play/pause" etc. Those i couldn't find in the temporary internt files of IE. However, others that were just plane animations, without any control options, were there; and i got them saved on my pc.

I'll appreciate any further remarks.

Thanks.
    Last edited by akif; 07-12-2006 at 08:35 AM. Reason: adding a lil explanation

I am pretty sure the "Howstuffworks" site copyrights all of their material and I would be very surprised if they did not have protections in place to prevent people taking them...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

How to Save Flash Files in Firefox & IE

I don't think there should be any copyright problems with viewing publicly available material off-line as long as it is not replicated, republished or passed-on without permission.

PS
    Another explanatory blog at http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archi...-on-web-sites/
    Last edited by Paul Komski; 07-12-2006 at 06:35 PM.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks Paul ,

The first link didn't work; however the second link gave enough explanation to solve the problem. Infact, I had been looking for *.swf files in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder, whereas the files i needed had *.DCR extention.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by akif
    Hi all,

i visit websites which contain learning stuff including flash animations on their web pages. When i try saving the web page on my pc, the text and other images are saved, but the flash animations are not. How can i solve this problem.

Thanks.

you need to use special tools for that purpose! for example i use one program called FlashFetcher. easy enough in use.it would be like an icon in the IE taskbar.it saves flash almost in a split second. you can see it yorself, just use google to find

Crazy_squ,
    I think Akif had already posted the problem was now solved.

The first link didn't work; however the second link gave enough explanation to solve the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Squ
    you need to use special tools for that purpose! for example i use one program called FlashFetcher. easy enough in use.it would be like an icon in the IE taskbar.it saves flash almost in a split second. you can see it yorself, just use google to find
    Smells a little phonkey for a first post. Not that it's a big deal, but this just doesn't seem on the level.

Fishy? Yep

all you need is flash fetcher
    check it out

Edit to remove link... Did you read any of the discussion??...
    Last edited by Budfred; 09-05-2006 at 07:54 AM.

Thread Information