Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: XP home restarts with updates

Angry XP home restarts with updates

I'm working on an XP system. The icon states that automatic updates are ready to install. The system will restart itself 5-10 seconds after I start them. Nothing in event viewer. Norton 2006 is up to date. No virus'. There is also a problem with Norton. I have to have the email scanning turned off. If not, a zillion little "scanning messages" windows keep popping up until the system crashes. Thanks, John

Anyone? How do I delete the pending updates? Thanks, John

Well you don't have to necessarily allow the updates to install. Just click the "X" in the balloon window that opens. I don't normally install the updates anyways because in the past they have caused really annoying problems.

About your norton issue... Please go to the "Applications and Security" forum and look for the "Hijack This" thread. You can download HijackThis. Once you download it, right click your desktop screen and select "New" and "New Folder". You can name this new folder "HijackThis". Extract the zip into this folder.

After doing this, open the folder and click the Hijack This icon. You will select the first option that should say "Run system scan and save to log file" After it scans, it will post up the results on notepad. What you should do is start a new thread in the "Applications and Security" forum, then copy and paste the log to your post.

I could be wrong but that last comment you made about the "zillion little scan messages" sounds like some kind of infection to me. Good luck.
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts, we make our world.

-Siddhartha Guatema

Thread Information