Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Split big .iso file into 2 parts to fit on 2 DVD's

Split big .iso file into 2 parts to fit on 2 DVD's - How?

I have a big .iso file of 6.91 GB which I want to burn to 2 CD's. I can't burn double layer, so I want to split it, so that I can play the 2 DVD's. Can anybody be so kind as to explain to me how to do this? Thanks!!
    Last edited by arthuro; 08-03-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Red face

Sorry, I want to burn the .iso file to 2 DVD'd - not to CD's.( ) I really hope somone can help me!

What program are you using to burn it?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Hello mjc!
    I am using CDBurnerX or ImgBurn. I can install NeroVision if necessary.

I'm not on the machine with Nero...but I kind of remember it having the ability to split them...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

If you install the free archiving program 7-zip, it will add a context menu when you right-click on that ISO file. Select "add to archive" from the menu and you'll see a section marked "Split to volume, bytes." This is above a pulldown menu where you can select CD-R or single-layer DVD-R size. Then you can burn these to individual disks.

http://www.splitter.vze.com/ for "Splitter & Merger". Tiny, powerful, simple and made for the task of splitting and then merging but not of making two playable DVDs as per "so that I can play the 2 DVD's". The only way to achieve that I would imagine is by only burning a copy of some of the content of the double-layered DVD and not of its iso.

If you dont have the original you could make a virtual DVD from the iso using DVD Decrypter or similar. Pangea's suggestion of 7-zip (a great program) I didn't immediately pick up on but it looks like a similar way to get a single layer that I wasnt aware that it could do.
    Last edited by Paul Komski; 08-05-2006 at 02:35 AM.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thank you Pangea!! I am going to try this out. It sounds very simple..... I'll keep you informed!

Kind of you, mjc! I told you I have Nero - installed it now. Maybe Nero can solve my problem. I am going to find out.

I didn't fully appreciate the situation at first, and I am pretty certain my suggestion isn't going to help you. I thought you wanted to split a large *.iso file into two, for seperate burning. I assumed that later you would reassemble these into the single *.iso for burning to a single disk.

If you've got an *.iso of a double layer dvd containing a movie, and you want the ability to span two playable dvds, you must get that large *.iso burned to a double layer dvd somehow. Presumably that would require the assistance of a friend with a dual layer capable dvd burner. Unfortunately, an *.iso file is a bit for bit copy of an original source. Half an *.iso file has no meaning without the context of the complete file.

Once you have that, you would most likely be able to do everything else on your machine. Again assuming that you're talking about a movie disk, you would then need to extract the *.vob files off that dvd so that you can get each of the individual items on it. In addition to the featured movie itself, this typically includes additional *.vobs for each of the extras and such.

These files would then have to be converted into the audio/video portions, which would be combined into aggregated *.avi or *.mpg files. These files would then need to be chopped into smaller portions so that they could fit onto single layer disks. Finally you would have to burn the portions back to a format recognized by your player.

If my understanding that you're working with a video dvd is correct, then I am totally serious about all these steps. You could possibly fit the feature movie onto a single layer disk directly from the extracted vob files, but I don't know if that's true since it's just the video portion. Chopping out the appropriate audio portion would be tough, and syncing it properly would be almost impossible. You would still require the original *.iso to be burned to a dual-layer disk by someone too.

No joke whatsoever, this will be a very time consuming, and very frustrating task. Considering that internal dual-layer dvd burners can be had for $40-50 nowadays, I completely recommend either shelling out the bucks, or forgetting about this disk. Being interested in attempting this simply to educate yourself would be the only feasible scenario for bothering.

Hi Pangea,

Thank you for your explanation! I am talking about a movie I downloaded from a movie newsgroup, so I don't have to extract it from a dvd.

The advice given by the poster of the movie was: if you can't burn it to a double-layer dvd, just burn the movie to 2 dvd's. For me this is easier said than done! That's why I asked my question in this forum.

Following the advice of some other members here, I downloaded some software. But I didn't have time yet to try the software out. I'll let you and the others of this forum know if I succeeded or not.

I guess things have changed a little since I used to keep up on this stuff. Here are a couple links that looked pretty useful to me...

http://www.digital-digest.com/~bluta...pgcedit_v2.htm
    http://www.videohelp.com/~r0lZ/pgced...th_pgcedit.htm
    http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/7225p1.html

Lightbulb here is what i did and it works just fine

I took the iso file 7.75 gigs opened it with win rar reformated back to a video_ts file.I put it in DVDFab it split the dvd into two parts so I have two disk that work perfect hope that helps the next guy out . HT aka bluetigerusa

Its easier than that. Get DVDFab 8.1.0.5 (We don't allow that) there is an option to split one DVD into two. You can use this function on ISO files as well. You simply click and burn.
    Last edited by Whyzman; 07-24-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: We don't allow posting warez or pirating sites. If this happens again your stay with us will be but a short visit.

Sorry, not posting to pirating sites... Reported to mods...

I have DVDFab and it does have this feature, though I don't use it. I use it for backing up my Blu-ray movies into compressed MKV files, but it is horrible and fails to open disks 90% of the time. It was a waste of $40 (on sale) in my opinion. And that was just for the Blu-Ray ripper part of the program that I use, each component cost that much.

It would be a great program if it actually worked at least most of the time. But it does not.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Thanks jlr!
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Win8.1/HAF X/CM 1000W/Z77X-UD5H/OC'ed 3770k @4.2GHz/32g G Skill/OC'ed GTX780 @1063MHz-6608MHz/Vertex3 120g/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk
    Win7/CM Centurion/650W/Z77X-UD3H/OC'ed 2500k @ 4.1GHz/16g Kingston/HD6870/Vertex2 90g/WD 500 Black
    Win7/modded mid-case/725W/TA785G3+/Athone 2 x 4 640 OC'ed @3.442 GHz/8g Kingston/HD6870/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk

doesn't keep me up nights, no siree

MagicDvdripper wil split it 4 u then use nero to encode vobs, then burn to the 4.7 dvds. simples =)
    Last edited by cloud; 09-11-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: forgot ful name of program i was suggesting :)

Thread Information