Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Network issues

Network issues

Ok heres my problem. While I was setting up my home network, i somehow erase(?) my ip on my desktop. I cant get on the internet on it. i get the constant "acquring network address" but it hasnt connected yet. i can get on through my laptop but i have to get my desktop working as well. Can someone help me out?

when i try to renew my ipaddress i get "the operation failed as no adpater is in the state permissible for this operation"

not sure what that means

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Is that the exact error message?
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

yes it is.

I tried copy/pasting into Google to do some research and nothing comes up. Usually, that happens if the error message is not exact...

Quote Originally Posted by Whyzman View Post
    I tried copy/pasting into Google to do some research and nothing comes up. Usually, that happens if the error message is not exact...
    ok i'll try to go step by step.

i typed in cmd in the run setup

typed in "ipconfig /renew"

I get:

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation

i dont know what the heck i did. i tried going to system restore but i cant restore to an earlier time either

Quote Originally Posted by Whyzman View Post
    Try googling without the quotes and you get This Seems to point to a driver issue??
    Vox clamantis in deserto..

Member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)

well i finally got it back working. i downloaded the updated NIC drivers. unplugged my modem and router(and reset it). hooked the modem back up(with no router) to the computer then hooked the router back up. seems to be working fine now.

Thanks alot!

now i have another question if i wanted to change my ip address, or hide it, how would i do it? heard this might be something i would want to do(while searching for info on my previous issue)? Seems to be a hot topic so i would like to know how to do it for future ref.

If you are behind a router it is already being handled for you, so don't worry about it.

A router does what is called NAT (Network Address Translation). This takes the single public IP given to you by your ISP and assigns it to the router. The router will then assign each PC a private IP address, and make all requests for internet traffic form the single public address. This way it seems from the outisde as if you have a single PC, but if anyone tries to reach it via that addres it will be blocked by the router.
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    but if anyone tries to reach it via that addres it will be blocked by the router.
    The public address?

Whyzman,
    Erik is talking about port scans, etc.
    The HDD of the client PCs is hidden by the NAT process so the contents of the HDD are not visible from the Internet public address.

Thread Information