Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Screen size problem?

Screen size problem?

Just hooked up an old Dell Dimension 266 pc using XP to my 15" flat screen monitor and screen shows more to the right of the monitor so I can't see the X on the top right hand side nor can I see the System tray on the bottom right. The Start button is like 3 inches away from the left of the screen, any ideas why this is happening or any fixes? It shows fine on my 14" monitors BTW.

Does your monitor have an OnScreenDisplay feature?

If so, you should be able to use it to re-center the screen.

If not, then inf file that is being used is either the generic one for PnP monitors or is for the old monitor. You will need to either remove and redetect the current monitor or find the actual inf file for it and load it.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Updated the drivers, did not work then adjusted the res and it worked but thanks for the other tips, will keep those on file.

Say, is it a CRT or LCD? Probably a CRT, but if it was an LCD, they usually have auto-adjust features. I've seen many CRT's with that feature as well.
    IBM ThinkPad T21 - 750MHz PIII, 256mb RAM, XGA, S3 Savage IX8, 40GB HD, Windows 95/NT4
    HP ENVY 15 - i7 4700MQ, 16GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA GT740M, FHD, 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 7-64
    Desktop - i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD 7870, 256GB Samsung 840 SSD, 1TB HD, XP/7-64

Says in the original post that it's a "flat screen". He probably meant an LCD.

Look for a button on the front (Set, Auto, Adjust, etc) to use the Auto-Adjust feature. If there is no button, then look in the OSD control panel for such an option.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Thread Information