Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Problem with Toshiba M30 laptop

Problem with Toshiba M30 laptop

Well, I was having problems with my other build, and then this happens! My week totally sucks!

On Sunday night I was happily chugging along on my Toshiba M30 laptop. Monday rolls around and I'm in class at school and I flip on the computer. GAH! Graphics corruption everywhere!

I immediately concluded that it was a Windows issue since the corruption could be temporarily fixed with an F5 refresh. Also, in a word document, the corruption moves with the text if I scroll the page. Weird, but easy to fix (f-disk )

Then I went into the BIOS. Curruption there too. Now I'm worried.

I'm not going to poke around inside it since I still have a year left out of the 3-year warranty I purchased. It was bought as Best Buy, by the way.
    In all aspects it acts like a graphics card problems, except the corruption moves with the page! I can move a window around and it moves with the window, too.

Here are some screenshots:

I just tried it with DSL 2.0, and there was no visible corruption. But that doesn't jive with the fact that there was corruption in the BIOS

Any err... suggestions? I'll probably take it back for warranty next time I'm in town.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Blog Entries
    That's a hardware problem. Either with the LCD connector/cable, or an overheating component on the mobo. Good thing you got that extended warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by saphalline View Post
    Good thing you got that extended warranty!
    Yeah, the warranty saved me once already with my power brick dying. My mom bought a laptop at the same time as me and she had hers replaced under warranty after about 6 months. Moral of the story: Always get the warranty on a laptop! You never know when something will fail. With desktops, it's a lot cheaper to just replace a single component. Laptops usually have to be replaced since most everything is onboard.

Anyways... In a way I hope that it's just something simple going on with it. I've had it for two years and I've kind of grown attached to it (you know how it is with computers ). I also kinda of just want a new one. This one had an old Pentium M, and a lousy nVidia FX5200, and I paid over $2,000 CAD for it.

What they did with my mom is refunded the original purchase price onto a gift card, and then she bought the new laptop with the money on the gift card, and kept whatever was left over.

There are some pretty juicy new laptops out now for much cheaper than what I origally had paid. I can't argue about having 500$ on a gift card ! Think of the games to be had!

I'll keep this thread up to date, but nothing will probably be happening within the next week.

Okay, I handed over my precious Lappy to the techs at BestBuy...

It's being shipped off to Toronto to be diagnosed and possible fixed. The tech at the store says that they'll probably just give me a new laptop unless it's something simple. Apparently it won't be back for at least three weeks, so I'm grounded to the desk until then. So much for productivity during my classes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azzey
    The tech at the store says that they'll probably just give me a new laptop unless it's something simple.
    Weird... That's an odd extended warranty they've got there.

Yeah, always read the fine print! Extended warranties are definitely worth it for a laptop in terms of cost, but time is another resource entirely!

Also have a Toshiba Satellite Pro M30.. and.. same problem.. one difference.. my warranty ended last month..

Any news ?

Gah! Same problem?

Does it do it even in the BIOS?

Quote Originally Posted by azzey View Post
    Gah! Same problem?

Does it do it even in the BIOS?

Yep! Even is the BIOS...

Okay, got the notebook back today.

They replaced the motherboard, and everything is hunky-dory now. Except now I have to repartition it because they wiped the hard drive and filled it with AOL trials (not really) and a bunch of bundled apps.

Blog Entries
    psycosonic - You'll have to take your laptop to a shop that can repair out-of-warranty computers. Usually it has to be sent to a big warehouse/service center in the smack middle of the country where they have access to thousands of different laptop parts. The fix won't be cheap, though, depending on the exact cause, so get an estimate first! In many cases, major hardware failures on a laptop aren't worth fixing outside the warranty. Once you get above $350-400 in repair costs, it's faster and more cost-effective to buy a new laptop. Especially since new cheap ones dip down to $550-600 with the holiday sales coming.

Consider your options carefully. And don't forget the extended warranty if you buy a new one!

Just bought another laptop. Asus power !

Thread Information