Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Nakamichi MBR-7 CD Changer

Nakamichi MBR-7 CD Changer

A user working for the company I work at presented me with a stack of 3 Nakamichi MBR-7 CD changers. He asked if I could hook them up for him. I told him I would try, but unfortunately I don't have any documentation on what the jumper settings need to be or which ports the cables need inserted into. I'm assuming I can chain them all together with one being a master, but I'm not certain. I've tried to contact Nakamichi about getting a manual but I have not gotten a response yet. If anyone has any information regarding the installation of these devices I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks.

Not much to go on out there but I did gather this:

The read speed is slow (2x ), they are a scsi interface therefore probably stackable but need scsi capable motherboard or add-on card, they date back to around 1995.

They were compatible with Windows 3.1, 95 and NT so it can be assumed that they may not work with XP although you may strike it lucky and get them to work.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by LordEric02 View Post
    I'm assuming I can chain them all together with one being a master, but I'm not certain.
    Actually, I don't think there's a "master" in SCSI configurations - I think you would chain them together with one being jumpered as last on the chain.
    I fight authority, authority always wins

Remembering Kay

Well the machine he's thinking of hooking them up to is running Win 98. He says that they've been hooked up to this machine before, but that is before my time here so I don't really know what all needs to be done. The Nakamichi website is not very helpful. They showcase their new products well, but offer no online support for anything.

I did see a terminator setting for one of the jumper switches so I assumed that was the last one. The only difficulty I see is in which port I plug the cables into. Each drive has two ports with no labeling. Maybe it doesn't matter?

Shouldn't matter which connector you use, they are parallel. Also see Google search for assistance hooking them up.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Well the only thing I noticed when I hooked up the drives to the computer, is that they immediately appeared to shut off. The green light went off and I was no longer able to open the trays. This is what makes me think that the main cable going to the computer needs to be in a certain drive in a certain port. I could be way off on this though.

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    What type of computer are you attempting to connect the drives to?

If it is a standard destop computer, more than likely there is a SCSI adapter card in a PCI slot. SCSI cables are unique.
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Also, many SCSI devices need to have an ID number set, by means of a jumper. If two different devices have the same number, things can get rather screwy.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Scsi 101

Each of the 3 units MUST have a device ID set. ( 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,) ( 7 is normally reserved for the scsi card..
    The last device in the chain Must be terminated ( ONLY ONE device terminated)

It is best to set them from 1 thru 6
    Using 0 tells it. It is bootable
    That unit is NOT
    Connect them in order of their ID setting
    Computer-- device1--device2--device3 Terminated -- = cable
    This makes it easy to sort out problems.
    In fact it would be best to connect One unit.
    Get it working.
    Then add the others One at a time.
    Remember with this unit
    It's adds a drive letter for each cd tray
    example. You have a HDD with C: and D:
    The first drive will then be added as
    E:F:G:H:I:J:H:
    Add another device with 7 and the same thing happens
    You can run out of drive letters real quick

I ran the Panasonic 6 drive unit
    They tend to crash a lot

Thread Information