Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: About upgrading cpu?? :confused:

About upgrading cpu?? :confused:

Hi i currently have a 1.8ghz intel pentium 4 cpu, (codename-williamette)??...400mhz fsb, 18x multipler, umm... socket 478

im wondering if a 2.4ghz P4, northwood, 533mhz fsb will run on my motherboard, i have no details on my motherboard sorry...
    or better yet a 2.8ghz p4, 800mhz fsb.. (both are socket 478)

Will i be able to run either cpu? and if so will it be efficient or or will it be held behind by my motherboard being to old (having a slower fsb) etc.. ps. i dont know much about this kind of technical stuff so if you need more info let me know, anthing such as cpu-z readings etc..

Full specs on your current set up...make/model of motherboard (or if it is an off the shelf/major manufacturer), etc.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

um its a 2001-2002 packard bell iMedia M series
    i can tell you that my bios is - Packard Bell Columbia/GX BIOS

um.. and the cpu-z reading for mainboard

um what else sorry??

Probably not...will need to look a bit more, but those are notoriously hard computers to find any info for.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Blog Entries
    The SiS 650 chipset itself is incapable of the 533 FSB and higher. You're stuck with 400 FSB CPU's. And as for upgrading, you might be able to upgrade to a Northwood A P4 with a BIOS update, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The Northwood's used an entirely different process size and have much lower core voltages.

Most likely you won't be able to upgrade the CPU high enough to make it worthwhile.

thanks for all the quick response help!! its awesome, looks like time to throw this machine out the window and get something new built up!! all ive ever had is problems with this computers hardware, wouldnt accept large hdd's even with bios update, but time to say good bye to the old packard bell!! thanks again!!

Blog Entries
    Packard Bell??

Well there's your problem!

Thread Information