Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: CMOS CheckSum Bad

CMOS CheckSum Bad

I just recently updated my bios to latest version. I got the asus a8n32 sli motherboard. I used the asus update from in windows to update and followed all instructions and shut every single program down that had nothing to do with windows. The bios got deleted and then flashed and when it was done the checking was successful. I restarted and it seemed to work fine it booted into windows. I then restarted again and when i pressed delete to enter setup it gave me a cmos checksum bad error. It said press f2 to load values or f1 to continue to setup. I still could have entered setup but this message always pops up. Is my bios damaged?

Replace the CMOS battery with a CR2032 button cell.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Thanks i will try that. But what is the difference between the two batteries?

Oh, there is no difference. I'm betting that the one you're using right now is dead (checksum error is a telltale sign of a dying battery). Replacing it should solve the problem.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Ok well i didn't even have to change the battery. I just took it out to reset and put it back in. I also switched around some ram modules to see if it would fix some of my bsods. When i started up i got 1 beep and then two beeps. Then came a bsod. Im not sure what it was though so i restarted again and everything seemed to work fine. It was weird cause its all fine now. I don't even get the checksum error anymore.

Thread Information