Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Card reporting underpowered

Card reporting underpowered

I've just finished building a new system, and everything works beautifully, with the exception of the video card, which is reporting underpowered even though I just went out and bought a new 500 watt antec neo he power supply.

The machine is based on an asrock 775 dual-vsta motherboard and a core 2 duo e6300 processor, along with 2gb ddr2 pc5400 667 memory. I've got one cd-rom and one sata hard drive in the box. Nothing else is connected.

The card is a pny nvidia 7600gs agp 8x 512mb card left over from the previous machine. The nvidia software comes up every time the machine is turned on saying the card is underpowered and to prevent damage, it has scaled back its performance to a safe level.

I've tried running the card on three different power supplies now, each with the same result, and I've even tried disconnecting the cd-rom, just to see if that made any difference (it didn't).

With as few peripherals as I have running on this machine at this stage, I'm a little baffled how I don't have sufficient power for this card.

Can anyone help me?

A couple of things...does the card have a fan? If so, does it have a connector for an external power connection? Is it connected?

What AGP settings are available in the BIOS?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

MJC is right on. The card needs it's own power connector. Have look at the picture of a 7600GS. Heck my 6800GS requires its own power. Plug in a molex connector to the card and you won't get the error anymore

8 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

The card does have a fan, but it does not have a distinct power adapter, there's only the one for the card.

The bios settings related to agp are thes:

agp voltage auto

primary graphics adapter agp
    agp mode 8x
    agp fast write disabled
    agp aperture size 64mb
    agp staggered delay auto
    agp gadstb output delay auto
    agp 3.0 calibration auto
    agp 3.0 dbi function auto
    dbi output for frame trans. auto

The card is powered, connected to a molex that has nothing else on that line.

The important setting would be the AGP voltage...what choices do you have, other than auto?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Auto, normal and high are the only agp voltage choices.

Thread Information