Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Hooking Up A 98 to a modern internet connection, I Need HElP Bad!

Hooking Up A 98 to a modern internet connection, I Need HElP Bad!

We have a network in or house that provides DSL to all the computers on it. I have an old 98 that I'm fixing up. I need to get it onto the internet so I can begin downloading new drivers. However when I try to connect it through the LAN network setup it does not work. Can I have a step by step, for dummies instructions on how to get this thing responding to the network. This PC has not been on the internet before. Looking frward to your responces.

Alexanderb_rca

98 or 98se?

Does the network card work properly? (Is that one of the drivers you need?)
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

98 and i think the card works but i'm not sure

If you are having that much trouble with it, the network card may need to have its drivers installed...

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to download the drivers needed, along with a bunch of 98 updates and burn it all to a CD and then install everything from the CD...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Does any one know where I could find a driver to update the memory card my 98

Make/model...any/all specs?

If this PCI "Network Interface Card" [NIC] has just been fitted....
    [I'm assuming so, you didn't say]

You probably need to "Force Update the ESCD".
    Go into the BIOS Setup...
    Somewhere like "PnP/PCI Configuration->Reset Configuration Data" and set it to "Enabled", then "Save and Exit Setup".
    The BIOS will redetect all the presently connected PCI hardware, make non-conflicting resource allocations, and save those in the "Extended System Configuration Data" [ESCD] table.
    These updated settings will be used at each startup to allocate resources to hardware, so all hardware can work.

Now you should be able to see the card as a "device" in "Device Manager".

Got to "Device Manager->[maximise the window]->View->Devices by connection->[highlight the PC symbol at the top of the hardware tree]->hit "Numlock + *", [to expand the tree] then "Numlock" again [to reset Numlock back on].
    Your hardware tree should now be expanded.
    Look under "PCI bus" for your NIC.
    Does it look OK?

Here is what mine looks like...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No the card has been in the computer since it was made. It has never been used to connect to the internet however it did contect to a LAN through the earthernet plug in the past.

I think I found the problem it is a PCI Eathernet control cannot find any sutible drivers even on the 98 disk! Does any one know were I counld find a driver for it. The Computer is a 98 Gatway 433c Although it is running on a hard drive browed from a difernt computer that also had 98

Alexanderb_rca

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderb_rca View Post
    I think I found the problem it is a PCI Eathernet control cannot find any sutible drivers even on the 98 disk! Does any one know were I counld find a driver for it. The Computer is a 98 Gatway 433c Although it is running on a hard drive browed from a difernt computer that also had 98

Alexanderb_rca
    Trying to run the OS from a different computers HD will be a big problem.

As for getting the drivers just go to Gateway and look up that model and see if they still have the drivers. If not see if you can get the make and model of the NIC and locate drivers for it from the manufacturers site.
    Erik

Install and run the FREEWARE Unknown Device Identifier.
    Use it to identify "Unknown Devices" and then use it to find suitable drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information