Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Recomendations for general utility for defrag, virus scanner, registry fixer

Recomendations for general utility for defrag, virus scanner, registry fixer

I have been using System Suite (now from VCom) for the past 5 years, but they have made some changes in V7 I don't like, but still haven't fixed issues from years ago. I'm looking for a replacement for at least these tasks;

1. Defrag program,
    2. Virus scanner,
    3. Registry repair,
    4. Disc repair

Those are my main uses. The Virus definations/updates should be included with free updates (as with System Suite from TrendMicro), not like Norton where you have to pay a yearly sub fee. I have seen/used PC Mechanic (I believe that was the name) and that was really lame. Way too simple and ineffective especially for the defrag program.

I would perfer one program instead of one for each task. And one that isn't bloated as in Norton.
    Suggestions??
    Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control. Enough is enough!

Quote Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    I would perfer one program instead of one for each task. And one that isn't bloated as in Norton.
    Suggestions??
    If this is the way you want to go, you will always be disappointed. You are better off with separate products that do the best job...
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

For my XP,
    AVG or Avast
    O&O Defrag 2000 Free & XP defrag in Safe Mode
    Eusing Free Registry Cleaner
    atf-cleaner or CCleaner
    Les

You are better off with separate products that do the best job.
    I got use to it using it for over 5 years, it's conveinant, just as I like Opera with it's built in e-mail client among many other reasons.
    I'm looking at O&O Defrag & Disckeeper. Also, AVG & Kaspersky for antivirus.

BTW, I still run 2k.
    Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control. Enough is enough!

If you have NTFS there is almost no need to defrag. My choices:

Browser:
    • FireFox with the Noscript Extension

AV:
    • Avast
    • AVG

Firewall:
    • Sygate (No longer Supported but it works great)
    • Kerio

Anti-Spware:
    • SpwareBlaster

Reg Cleaner:
    • CCLEANER
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

I'm trying these programs; O&O, AVG Antivirus & Kaspersky. My questions are;

O&O; There is a process that runs all the time. I tried stoipping it, but the program needs it running to work. I have no problem with it running when the program is running, but when I'm not using the program (99% of the time) why is it there? I e-mailed them, but no response yet. I tried to sert it to manual under 'services' , but the program doesn't call on that service when you open the program. Input here?

Kaspersky; This is the most invasive program I have tried to use since I stopped using Norton. It seems to take over your system. With any action, you have to wait untill it disects the action before you can see the results of your last 'click'. Wether it's opening a program or just opening up a folder. Example; Opera, it wouldn't let me load that program. I have to uncheck "Application Activity Analyzer" under 'Proactive Defense' for Opera to load.

Kaspersky; This is the most invasive program I have tried to use since I stopped using Norton. It seems to take over your system. With any action, you have to wait untill it disects the action before you can see the results of your last 'click'. Wether it's opening a program or just opening up a folder. Example; Opera, it wouldn't let me load that program. I have to uncheck "Application Activity Analyzer" under 'Proactive Defense' for Opera to load.
    Is this KIS? My KAV 6 does not have any of this bloat, you also can customize the depth of scan to make the program work the way you want.

The thing is, ANYTHING with any kind of active application monitoring/analyzing is going to slow things down, immensely.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Diskeeper Lite is a free defrag, but disables XP defrag until removed & will not run in safe mode.
    AusLogics also is free & runs in safe mode. Both are recommended in various forums. I think O&O is really good & worth it's little hitches. Les

Another thing, while O&O has an obvious service running to keep track of what is going on with your drive, Windows has pieces of code doing the same thing...but the are just hidden as part of the general running of Windows. That is the nature of a decent defrag...it needs to monitor files usage so it know where/how to place the files when it fits the bits and pieces back together.

If you are really that worried about performance 'robbing' from the extra services that will need to run for the third party tools, then just stick with the built in MS tools...the overhead of running them is already built into the OS. (Unlike the 9x defrag--with, dare I say it...ME's version being the best of the lot, XP's defrag does a decent or better job.)
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information