Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Hourglass pulsing like a heart beat

Hourglass pulsing like a heart beat

The hourglass symbol pulses beside the pointer with no programs open. I looked in msconfig and disabled some programs in startup. I ran adware and a full virus scan but there is nothing shown up.
    With windows task manager the cpu usage is between 15-25% with task manger and firefox open. explorer, svchost, winlogon,system idle process seem to be the only processes active.

I have just removed a USB storage key from a hub and the pulsing has stopped. I even put it back into the hub but no pulsing.

Is this normal.

I know the question is asked and answered just wondering why this happened?

TIA

Have you tried to access the key (thumb drive?) again? Does the hourglass start then? It could be due to data corruption but depending on where the drive came from or what it was exposed to, it could be some other type of malware as well.

My guess though is corruption or driver issues.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thanks for the reply Ted.

I put the USB key back in the hub and everything seems OK. Ran AV & Adware on the key everything seems OK. Something to note for future though.

Cheers

Never tried this with my Flash Drive [it stays permanently connected], but...

If I'm in Device Manager...
    And I switch on the external USB HDD...
    It takes quite a few minutes for Windows to do the business...
    i.e.
    a. Detect the presence of the new hardware item...
    b. Make all the necessary changes [selecting the correct branch of the hardware tree in the registry]...
    c. Set up the new hardware combination for use [including the added item, as specified by that hardware branch]...
    d. Make all the necessary changes to running windows [e.g. the display in Device Manager is redrawn].

Give it a try and see it happen.
    Have your "devices" displayed "By Connection" when you do it.

Sylvander,

seeing that it's not pulsing or annoying me...........I think l will leave well enough alone.
    I will just keep the flash drive out of the hub.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers

xxxx OK xxxx

Thread Information