Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Video Troubleshooting Advice Needed

Question Video Troubleshooting Advice Needed

I was planning to convert an old PIII 450 mHz / 512MB ram and two matching 80GB HD's on an Olympus 781 mobo into a RAID 1 network storage unit. I'd been given these components several years ago from my workplace, and had used them along with XP Pro without so much as a hiccup. The only thing I had to do was move them from a rack mounted case to a tower case.

While these components were still being used almost daily as a standard computer one day we turned it on to discover that we had no video. I tested the monitor on another machine and it was fine.

Having upgraded the components in the case this one used to occupy, I purchased another used case and installed the motherboard, a new Antec 350W power supply and another legacy video card (original card is a Rage 2C 8MB). However, upon testing both of these in another computer both video cards operated perfectly.

I've removed and reseated the processor and memory and have only the video card, one HD and a CD-ROM drive. I still get no video at startup. In fact the monitor will go from standaby to off when I plug it into the video card. When I unplug it, the monitor comes on displaying "check video input".

Is there anything else I can do, check or troubleshoot to attempt to solve this problem?

Thanks in advane for any advice.

If you're installing and removing the video card with the system powered up, then it's strongly recommended that you refrain from doing that.

Install/connect only the power supply, MB, CPU, memory, video card, monitor, keyboard, case speaker, and power button, and make sure the power supply's voltage selector switch is set to the correct voltage and the PS connection to the MB is securely seated.
    If there's a display, then install all other components one at a time until the problem resurfaces. The last component installed, its slot, its MB connector, or its cable is the culprit.

If there's no display, then clear CMOS with a MB jumper, or by removing the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes.
    If that's already been done, then make sure the 'Clear CMOS' MB jumper is not in the 'Clear' position.
    If the jumper is in the proper position, then check the CMOS battery for the correct voltage(3V).

If no luck, then place the MB on a piece of cardboard. If there's now a display, then the MB is shorting out when installed in the case. Check for a loose screw, standoff, etc., inside the case, and also remove any standoffs which do not line up with MB holes. If none is found, then remove all MB screws and metal standoffs, and install paper washers(manila folder paper works good for this) between the MB and the screws/standoffs.

If there's no display with the MB placed on a piece of cardboard, then proceed with the following:
    (1)If all fans and lights work when the 'Power On' button is pushed, then test the PS as described here:
    http://www.ochardware.com/articles/p.../psuvolt2.html
    If you do not have a voltmeter, then try a different PS.
    (2)If the PS voltages are ok or there's no display with a different PS, then install the memory modules one at a time in different slots, and make sure the video card is firmly seated(some video cards need an extra firm push to seat properly). If still no display, then swap out the MB, CPU, memory, and video card to find out which one is defective.

Excellent summarized procedure- thank you. (and I always totally disconnect the power supply cord before I do anything)

I'll work through this procedure and see what happens. I do have another legacy mobo (new) on the way in case this one is shot.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.
    Let us know how things go.

Well, following your procedures I tested eveything, including the brand new power supply. Not getting any beeps nor video at all upon start-up. The power supply and video card is good, so it's down to the processor, memory or motherboard.

I should have my replacement motherboard next week. There's only one stick of SDRAM in it and I have no extras, nor do I have another slot 1 processor. So if the new motherboard doesn't do the trick, I'll have to buy some memory, then a processor. Thank goodness this legacy stuff is cheap!

See if reseating the memory helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ski View Post
    See if reseating the memory helps.
    Tried that- to no avail. Won a cheap stick on eBay last night, so I can verify that once received.

Twas the Motherboard

Apparently was the motherboard. As soon as I installed it, everything worked fine.

Thanks again for all the great assistance and ideas. Deeply appreciated.

I've been working and tinkering with computers for many, many years and this was the first time a base level (mobo, memory, processor) component has ever failed on me.

The old mother board will be laid to rest after doing a lot of work over the years, it was used on-air, 24/7 at a radio station for several years before I brought it home (having upgraded) to use it here full-time, 9-5 for several more years without so much as a hiccup. Do they still make 'em like they used to?

You're welcome. Glad to hear that you fixed the problem.
    Reliable computers and computer components are still being made. But just like every other manufactured product, bad ones do make their way off the assembly line. And those are the ones we normally hear about at the forums.

Thread Information