Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: graphics card running hot?

graphics card running hot?

I recently bought and installed a new graphics card. But it seems to be running rather hot. It's a 7600GT so it's just fan based and i have no added coolant.
    I have vista so im sure its running a little extra but its running at 55-57 șC without me even playing a game.

Is this ok? And when should I start to worry?

That's higher than normal for idle speeds, but you're not in any danger of overheating. Remember that graphics cards can withstand much more heat than CPU's.

How is your airflow? Ideally you will have one fan on the front of the case drawing cool air in and a fan blowing air out the back. If it's running that hot at stock speeds with a stock cooler, it might be a lack of airflow.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

There is other alternative. Which you buy a extra Graphic Card cooler that cover the while Graphic Card in the cooler. And there is another type of cooler fan that sucks out the air which come out from your Graphic Card fan (p/s* It's because the cooler installed just under the Grahic Card.)
    Just do your best. We appreciate the effort, result is secondary.

there is no front fan on this case. but i do have my cover off the side of the case...and the room its in is fairly cool....thing is it doesnt seem to get any hotter when i play a game.

Applying some more thermal paste under the GPU, might do the work. I have a geforce 6200 with turbocache, the thing is that i hot really annoyed by the noise made by fan. I removed away the fan and applied some additional thermal paste to the GPU. D'ont know when the card will explode , but i am still using it.

Quote Originally Posted by des343 View Post
    there is no front fan on this case. but i do have my cover off the side of the case...and the room its in is fairly cool....thing is it doesnt seem to get any hotter when i play a game.
    What temps are you getting with the cover on? You're probably not getting enough air-flow with the cover off.

Just my .02

Scott

Thread Information