Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Norton Personal Firewall is blocking Internet Explorer 6.029

Question Norton Personal Firewall is blocking Internet Explorer 6.029

This has been going on for a long time. I've run virus and spyware checks and the system is clean. Windows firewall is up now and I've disabled Norton Personal Firewall. I have NIS 2003. The NAV portion of the suite is still enabled. When I'm on the Internet and NPF is enabled, sometimes it blocks me from going onto the Internet, for an unknown reason, until I disable it. I used to reboot the PC and sometimes also have to reboot the modem. I bought a second DSL modem, because I thought that it was the problem. I'm also bypassing my router. It says permit all, next to IE, under program control. I've already tried to re-install NIS 2003, but that didn't change anything. I do have a problem with Live Update for NIS. I can't update "Norton Internet Security security updates". I've tried to follow Symantec's solutions for the problem, but nothing has fixed the problem. Here's the error I get from Live Update:

LU1806: LiveUpdate was not able to install any of the 1 updates that you selected. For more information please click the "+" sign next to the update(s) that did not install. All available updates were selected.

LiveUpdate was unable to uncompress an update because the update was corrupted during its download. Please run LiveUpdate again to re-retrieve your updates.

Can anyone give me a solution?

Update: after about 30 minutes of NPF being disabled, I enabled it and now I'm cruising the Internet, while it's enabled, again. Any ideas?
    Last edited by tonysolomon; 04-20-2007 at 10:31 PM.
    Report animal abuse or neglect.

Comodo Firewall.

Or if you live nearby, I can include you in legions of people who pay me to get back on line with a firewall after installing NIS.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

You can also try installing the latest version of IE and/or using FireFox or Opera... I agree with classicsoftware about using Norton and I also agree that it is NOT a good idea to be online without a firewall...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Thread Information