Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Adaptive test?

Question Adaptive test?

Those of you who have taken the "adaptive" test: how does it compare to the traditional one? Easier, harder or just different?

Share your experiences...

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

I prefer traditional tests over adaptive tests. I had Traditional test for Networking Essentials and Microsoft NT 4.0 Server, but I took some adaptive exams in preperation and hated them, and took some traditional practice exams and loved them. I hear the Sever In The Enterprise Exam is adaptive, and so I am dreading it. But, I will be taking it and NT 4.0 Workstation hopefully in late september early october. I am also going for rest of MSCE track, even though it retires at end of year, cause I am in process of getting better job, I am just graduating college and my current internet technician job is entry level and only pays 8.25 and hour and doesn't seem to offer me a place to move up and get paid adequately. I am stuck in a small town.

------------------
    Joe Redd
    MCP
    Joe Redd

All I know about the adaptive tests is that they change the questions based on some parameters... anyone (everyone?) know any more than that?

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Wink

Just wanted share some information for all you test lovers. This is a site with the CBT online all you have to do is install the sofware under the "Getting Started" button

Enjoy and good luck on your career change
    http://itsnt.appstate.edu/cbtweb/curicula/custom.htm

I liked the A+ adaptive tests, I suppose mostly because I passed, and with plenty of time to spare. In 30 minutes, you get a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 30 questions and cannot change your answers.

I had also taken and passed an MS conventional exam before and used all 2 hours allotted to go back and second-guess some of my answers, most or all of which I ending up not changing anyway. With the A+ tests, it was bang, bang, done! You're first answer is usually your best one anyway.

The bottom line is still if you know your stuff, you pass. Admittedly I was apprehensive about the adaptive format at first. My apprehension was alleviated a little by doing a practice MS CAT (computer adaptive test) on arithmetic. It shows you hands on how these tests work and instills confidence in their reliability. It's a 333KB download at http://www.microsoft.com/trainingand...bSite=examinfo

By the way, congratulations to the pcguide site author on an extremely thorough, rigorous, and reliable source of information which I turned to several times to flesh out certain topics where I found my study book's treatment a bit lacking.

Originally posted by ixl:
    Those of you who have taken the "adaptive" test: how does it compare to the traditional one? Easier, harder or just different?

Share your experiences...

Smile

Last thursday I passed my A+ core exam, it was an adaptive test and I really liked it. It took less then ten minutes and I only had to answer the minimum of 20 questions ( 30 questions is the maximum).
    An adaptive test measures the ability of a test taker by adapting the dificulty of the questions to the ability of the test taker.
    When you give a wrong answer to a question, your next question will be easier, if you give a right answer the next question will be more difficult.You can't skipp a question and go back later to answer it because the test needs an answer to determine the next question will be. Adaptive tests are not easier or more difficult then classical tests but the great advantage is that you can take them in no time.
    The score is another thing,445 is enough to pass, I passed with a score of 611, can anyone tell me how I can rate this score in % or what value I can give it (average, good?).

Thread Information