Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: voip/mobile

voip/mobile

Hello All,
    One quick question.Can a voip facility be installed on a mobile phone. Receive and send and If so what type of phone and is this terribly expensive.
    Mobiles have everything else these days so why not a cheap phone.
    Regards,
    Wombil.

VOIP is using a network to send voice data over a line using packets. If you have a digital phone then it is doing this already.

Thank you Variable,
    At the moment I am making calls from my PC to any land phone in the world for 2 cents per minute and to mobiles for considerably more but still much cheaper than the phone companies charge.I was wondering if a mobile phone could be programmed to do the same.
    Thanks,
    Wombil.

No not really, you are paying for your internet connectivity and in addition, you are paying 2 cents a minute for phone calls with VOIP. Your ISP provides your bandwidth, the VOIP phone functionality is piggy backed on this.

If you could broker a deal for Internet access on your phone with no other services, you could probably make VOIP work. There would be no incentive to prioritize packets on the company’s side. Your problem is trying to get the phone company to provide you bandwidth without paying for phone service. This, on the face of it, sounds like a really hard sale to me... What you need is an internet capable mobile device and broadband wireless with the ability to give preference to dot1q. To do what you want you need a wireless ISP not a phone company.

Thanks Variable,
    Yes,doesn't seem like a goer.Just a crazy thought going around in my head.
    Cheers,
    Wombil.

Thread Information