Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: I have 104gb free before using bearshare then 88.9 after, what the heck?

I have 104gb free before using bearshare then 88.9 after, what the heck?

can someone help me?

Sharing programs can usually be associated with some pretty malicious stuff. You're opening up your hard drive to other people, so if you haven't just been downloading large files there's a possibility something illegit is going on.
    The story with the animals is the better story.

I ran a system check with my anti spyware and anti virus softwares and it said I am fine. There has been no slow down either.

ya-ya-ya-Bartus is right, if you allow people or nasty downloads into your PC you will be infected. You are causing the the the generous HJT techs more unneeded work. Maybe one will say you need their help.

Something like [the FREE version of] "SyncBack" could be useful in circumstances like these.

You can scan your files at frequent intervals and syncback will display any "differences" between the latest scan and the previous scan.
    The more frequently this is done, the less should be the changes to the files.
    If you scan immediately before using this program, and again immediately after, it will display the "differences" introduced during that time.

I like to "compartmentalise"...
    i.e. Move ALL data files off C: and hold different types of data files in different partitions.
    This leaves on C: only Windows and Programs [plus odds].
    These files don't normally change very much.

I keep personal data files on a separate small [1 GB] D: partition, and "syncback" those to a Flash Drive H:
    These are the files that normally change most.
    e.g. The Firefox profile and the email dbx files change most frequently.

Might a lot of files been created, and then possibly deleted [to the Recycle bin]?
    Files in the bin occupy space, so would reduce the free space.

If you are using WinXP try ExporerXP to what has been put where or what is occupying the space if you cant find it.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

It turned out to be files from Ares that I decided not to download. It was just reserving space for those files if I decided to finish downloading them

oh and thanks for the cool tool!

Thread Information