Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: How to redirect desktop to a new target folder

How to redirect desktop to a new target folder

Help and Support tells to do this:

To redirect special folders to a specific path
    Open a Group Policy object that is linked to the site, domain, or organizational unit that contains the users whose special folders you want to redirect.
    In the console tree, double-click Folder Redirection to display the special folder that you want to redirect.

Except, what does it talk about? It talks about Microsoft Management Console, right? But how do I use it? Type MMC in Run, then I get a box I have not idea how to use...

Under WinXP (and earlier I think) simply find the Current User's Desktop folder under Documents and Settings and Right Drag it to the desired location. Select Move. Reboot. That should automatically update the underlying registry. To be on the safe side you can first backup the whole of that Desktop folder by simply sending it to a compressed folder.

I think you may also be able to do it with TweakUI (to reset the registry pointers) and then copy the contents manually.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

I would do it in TweakUI just to be safe. I am not so sure that just moving the folder does the trick, as there are registry values involved here.

As for the instructions you found they are for doing this by a group policy in a domain. So unless you have a server running Windows Server just ignore them. If you do have a server then that is the way to go as it will automatically move every users folders when they login.
    Erik

I am not so sure that just moving the folder does the trick
    It works for most but not all the Current User's shell folders/user shell folders. Moving cookies doesn't update the underlying registry and some of the application folder sub-folders such at the ones containing registry hives are problematic no-matter what way you try to move them. It certainly works for Desktop, Favorites and My Documents (but not the desktop My Documents icon) and some of the others too and is a very simple way to both move the content and update the registry at the same time. If the registry doesn't update a particular shell folder then either RightDrag it back to its original location or update the registry manually yourself. Just stay away from moving the application data folders - its better to copy and paste them and then see if you can update the registry by whatever method.

The relevant keys are:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders
    and
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell Folders

and if the default location is not used both keys are likely to need updating.

PS Found a Kelly'sCorner, which may well have been my original source.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

I remember way back in 1997 using Win95 and wondering why Windows didn't do this.

It's been a long time coming.

Needs to be arranged that every file that has its address specified in the registry has its address auto-updated whenever the file is moved.

Thread Information