Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: aplus hints

Post aplus hints

Hi there,

I've been lurking on this and other boards for the last few months while I prepared for my A+ exams. Thankfully, today I finally passed my OS exam with an 895 and am officially A+ certified!

Anyway, I got lots of ideas by reading through your posts and just figured I'd post an account of my studying in case it'll help any of you guys.

I studied for the core exam by reading cover to cover several texts (like Exam Cram and Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs) and diving into the PC Guide and not coming out for several weeks. After I felt I had the basics down I went from site to site taking every free and demo practice exams I could find. I carefully took notes on all the areas that were troubling me in the practice exams and reread everything I could find until that stuff was easy too.

I studied for the OS exam by using the same methods but hit a snag when I noticed that most practice exams didn't cover Windows 2000 very well or at all. I got lots of practice with DOS, Win3.x and Win9x but nothing with Windows 2000. So instead of looking for A+OS practice exams, I looked for MCSE Win2000Pro; trust me, there are hundred of these on the Net, and if you can pass these the A+ will be a breeze.

Hopefully this'll help somebody out. Just trying to give back to the community. Don't forget the hands-on parts. Get ahold of some junk computers and rip them apart. Also get ahold of all the Operating Systems that you'll be tested on and play around with them. Try weird stuff just to see what happens. Erase system files just to see what error message you get; you can always reinstall the OS if the PC dies. That's what boot disks are for

BTW, does anyone out there have any tips for job searching with A+? I'm in Saskatoon in Canada if that matters.

Curt.

Hi Curto, welcome to the Forum.

Congrats on passing the OS exam and becoming A+ certified.
    You're advice is good, especially on studying MCSE Win 2000 as the Win 2000 aspect of the exam does appear to be a bit tricky. Can't help you with the job search but good luck anyway.

------------------
    You are making progress if each mistake is a new one!

Sig from Here

geebee76@hotmail.com
    You are making progress if each mistake is a new one!

Sig from Here

geebee76@hotmail.com

Good job on passing! Check out the iNet job sites and do a search with A+. Hate to tell ya, but you won't find a lot, but it's better than sitting around collecting welfare...
    www.computerjobs.com www.monster.com www.dice.com www.headhunter.net

Good Luck!

------------------
    CCNA, CIW, iNet+, Network+, A+, RCE
    CCNA, CIW, iNet+, Network+, A+, RCE

Good job,
    Pretty high score
    CYa

------------------
    Murph's Law: 1.Everything takes longer than you think
    2.If anything can go wrong it will
    3.Nothing is as easy as it looks
    WAR EAGLE

Blog Entries

Why are you bringing up a topic that is 4 months old? Please stick to the recent ones, the past week or two. This is wasting everyone's time, it was dropped a long time ago and there was no good reason to revive it. Same for the next two that are 2-3 months old.

------------------
    Support the right to keep and arm bears.
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links has been moved, please update your bookmarks.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Well done on getting your certification!

I am also reading up on the A+. I am currently reading Mick Meyers, A+ Certification Exam Guide. And to be honest, it is fascinating. Never knew that it could be so interesting.

I hope to begin the MOUS course in the next week or so and then i will move on to either MCSE or A+.

This is where i get a little bit confused. I have seen so many references to the MCSE. Which would be better?

I would really be grateful of any information or advice that you may have. Links or books to read.

Many thanks

Ken

Thread Information