Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: What I got done on Saturday :)

Wink What I got done on Saturday :)

Hey everyone,
    I made a couple of small changes to the forum. I changed the colors to make them easier to read (I think). You may also notice funny little titles and cute little icons under your names.
    I have to admit that these are not functional; they're just for fun. As you participate more on the forums you will reach new "levels" and your title will change; you will also accumulate rank insignia (little pieces of hardware of course!) as you take your journey to the pinnacles of Geekdom!
    P.S. "Geek" is a term of endearment to us PC afficianados; if it offends anyone please let me know.
    P.P.S. If I haven't responded to a question or comment of yours yet, please accept my apologies. I will be answering most of the open threads I haven't gotten to on Sunday.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

[This message has been edited by ixl (edited 09-03-2000).]
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Originally posted by ixl:
    As you participate more on the forums you will reach new "levels" and your title will change; you will also accumulate rank insignia (little pieces of hardware of course!) as you take your journey to the pinnacles of Geekdom!
    "Apprentice Geek"??

Are these granted by number of postings, or is there some management input?

-PRR

Laugh... No, I'm not trying to make any sort of personal statement. It's entirely based on the number of postings and is the same for everyone except me.
    The idea is to have some fun as we build a community, and provide a sort of "notches in the belt" type reward for those who participate a great deal on the forum.
    If people don't like it I can change it... I assume you are one of those. Is it the title "Apprentice Geek" (which is just the level you are currently at) or the whole concept?
    Thanks for the feeedback.

------------------
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide

Thumbs up

I like it, Chief. It adds more sense of fun to the forums.

You know, if you keep promising to answer all posts personally, you may never get to the updating work in the PC Guide.

This isn't the place, but may I ask if this new feature of the forums is a hack or a feature of UBB? Same question on the way the Topics list shows the nickname of the last poster.

One hack for UBB forums that I like let's users choose to receive e-mail notification of messages posted to any thread, not only threads that they start.

------------------
    S~~
    S~~

I like it, Chief. It adds more sense of fun to the forums.
    Thanks! I had a bit of fun doing it. I adapted all those little insignia myself by hand.

That said, if it bothers people I can change it. I wasn't sure about "Geek"; most techies consider it a term of endearment but maybe some don't like it?
    You know, if you keep promising to answer all posts personally, you may never get to the updating work in the PC Guide.
    You're right. But after spending weeks writing for the Buyer's Guide and other writing work (both for the site and off) I was burned out. I'll get back to writing soon. I want to get the forums going and keep them going until we get enough people here that they run themselves. I'm already pleased at the great answers people are giving each other in the T.S. forum!
    This isn't the place, but may I ask if this new feature of the forums is a hack or a feature of UBB? Same question on the way the Topics list shows the nickname of the last poster.
    They're all hacks, pretty much everything I have done since the upgrade to 5.46 has been a hack. Some my own, some I got from others, some a combination.
    One hack for UBB forums that I like let's users choose to receive e-mail notification of messages posted to any thread, not only threads that they start.
    Wow, you like, read my mind! There is a hack to do this and I am presently looking at it, because it's something I want as well. The problem is that my experience with UBB code can literally be measured in days, and my Perl expertise isn't much better. That particular hack is not well documented and involves file writes so I am not sure I trust myself to do it.

Thanks for the input!

------------------
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide

i like the idea of expanded notifications of new posts, too, although i worry it cd become totaly overwhelming if the bbs gets really busy. maybe (while we're talking abt ambitious dreams?) pple cd specify which threads or general topics they want to be notified abt, or if they want to be notified only abt NEW ones, or some combination individually selected. i suppose taht's a lot of work to program, but i'll be tit wd be popular, if you have the time or interest to figure it out! :-)

Thread Information