Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Sorry about the server errors

Post Sorry about the server errors

There have been reports of sporadic server errors using the forums over the last 24 hours. Sorry about that.
    These are usually caused by abusive jerks who try to mass-download the entire site using poorly-behaved robots. Their robot programs get loose on the forums and try to execute every button, every CGI script call, and these calls are nested, bogging down the server. Thus far I have had only limited success in dealing with this.
    Please do continue to report these to me. Since they occur only occasionally, there's no other way for me to know they are happening. Thanks.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...

Blog Entries

No problem, in the future if it happens with any regularity I'll let you know, I thought it was just a server glitch, overload or bad weather, something along those lines. I sometimes have the Internal Server Error, but usually it's one isolated incident, nothing to worry about. This morning from 2 am to about 5 it seemed like every other post. Had no idea it might be related to something like that.

I figured out how to mostly get around it without tons of duplicate posts, I use the browser's back button and go back to the section list, and the post is usually there, even though it doesn't show in the list as a reply yet, no biggie...

If it happens again with any regularity I'll let you know.

------------------
    My hairdresser charges me a finder's fee!!

Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Occasional ISEs happen from time to time, but if they are persistent, I hope someone will let me know.
    The people running brain-dead web robots are a menace. It's very hard to prevent this, so I have to block IP addresses, but can do that only after the damage has been done.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...

Am I correct in thinking that this problem relates to the messages I keep getting such as:- http://ds.cybereps.com/hserver/acc_random=984181996070/site=TTarea=THEPCGUIDE/AAMS Z=Button2.
    A connection with the server could not be established
    Do you want these messages to be reported to you?

[This message has been edited by nedah (edited 03-09-2001).]

Thread Information