Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: CPU multiplier and Speed keeps changing, Help

Unhappy CPU multiplier and Speed keeps changing, Help

Hi

I have recently overclocked my AMD sempron 3400+ from 2.0GHZ to 2.3GHZ. I went to my gigabyte motherboard's bios at boot up and changed the frequency of the CPU from 200mhz to 230mhz. ( My CPU has a multiplier of 10x ). After i changed it to 230MHz ( x10 = 2.3Ghz ), i logged onto windows and everything was ok, the temperature of the cpu was 39 degrees celsius. I then went to play Oblivion and after like 3 minutes into the game, the game lagged and was slower than usual. I then exited oblivion and went to Nvidia's control panel and went to view system information. I saw that the 230Mhz was the same but the multiplier went down to 5x!, so now its speed was 1150MHZ! I then restarted my computer and changed the frequency of the CPU back to 200Mhz and logged onto windows again. I then went back to Nvidias control panel and went into view system information. The frequency was correct and the multiplier was also correct. I then played oblivion again, and yet again it lagged and was slower than usual. I exited oblivion and went to Nvidias control panel and viewed system information. The frequency was 200Mhz BUT NOW THE MULTIPLIER WAS 5x!! leaving my system running at 1000Mhz!

Why did it do this? I only overclocked it slightly and i added a little extra power to the CPU when i increased its frequency. Is my processor damaged?

Thanks

Make sure the CPU multiplier in BIOS is set to 10, not AUTO. The first time I overclocked a computer, I left it on auto - I thought I was at 4 GHz, but had not moved from 2.2!
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
    Xeon X3370 @ 4.0
    4GB OCZ DDR2-1150
    Intel X25-M 80GB
    WD Black 1TB
    EVGA GTX 285 Hydrocopper
    Swiftech 1/2" WC system on CPU and GPU

If all else fails clear the cmos

Hi guys

Thanks for all your opinions on this problem, but as Paul_ said to set the multiplier in the BIOS to 10, My motherboard doesn't allow me to change multipliers, my motherboard only allows me to change frequency, and voltage to the CPU. Is the multiplier actually on the CPU? or is it controlled by the motherboard? I've noticed that the voltage also keeps changing from 1.4v to 1.136v every 2 seconds using CPU-Z. when the voltage drops from 1.4v to 1.136v the multiplier will drop from 10 to 5 at the same time. I am thinking that the CPU is broken and i plan to get a new one. But i am unsure whether the CPU itself is faulty or my motherboard voltage controller to the CPU is faulty . Any help on whether my mobo is faulty or CPU is faulty is appreciated.

Also as TopChip7 said, "If all else fails clear the cmos", what does clearing the cmos do?

Thanks

Make sure you disable AMD Cool and quiet in the BIOS if your system has it and turn off any CPU throttling in windows. Look for any power management options and set them to performance, always on, full speed or similar. Whatever your system has.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Ive done everything u have said Jlreich, but multiplier and voltage still keep dropping every 2 seconds Does this mean i should get a new cpu? or is my motherboard voltage regulator causing problems to the CPU?

It still sounds like there is some CPU throttling going on somewhere.

What make/model is your system if a name brand, or what make model motherboard if custom built?
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

My computer is custom built, here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-RH motherboard

250GB seagate 7200.10 Hard drive

Sparkle 8600GT 256MB Graphics card

AMD Sempron 3400+ ( 2.0GHz)

2 x 512MB Samsung Ram- 1GB

Thermaltake 430Watt PSU.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabite
    Ive done everything u have said Jlreich, but multiplier and voltage still keep dropping every 2 seconds
    Then you haven't found all the throttling options. Download the most recent manual for your mobo and check all the settings again. This is the only explanation for regular CPU speed drops! Hardware problems would be much more random!!

Hi

I have gotten my friend's CPU and put it in mine, and it stills drops voltage and multiplier every 2 seconds. So there must be throttling as Jlreich said

" Make sure you disable AMD Cool and quiet in the BIOS if your system has it and turn off any CPU throttling in windows "

How can i turn off CPU throttling in windows? I have searched google, but i can't find any info. Please can someone explain how i can turn off CPU throttling in windows?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabite
    How can i turn off CPU throttling in windows?
    It's in the power profiles in the Control Panel. Assuming WinXP, Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance (if you have the "new" CP look) -> Power Options -> Power Schemes tab -> Power Schemes drop-down -> set this to "Always on", and make sure the other drop-down boxes are set to "Never".

In addition to this, laptops/notebooks often have many more options related to power saving modes and features. These are not shown or included when Windows is installed onto a desktop system.

Also if the motherboard specific tools/software from the mobo manufacturer are installed there may be more specifics settings. I think Gigabyte's version is called Easy Tune, or something like that.

You would want to find the CPU speed/throttling setting, or similar, and set it to full speed, performance or similar. Or uninstall it altogether should remove its effects on the system. But once you know how it works you might like to keep it.

Warning, this tool may have the ability to overclock the system as well, so be mindful of what you change. Don't go setting your CPU to the max overclock or anything like that!
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlreich
    Also if the motherboard specific tools/software from the mobo manufacturer are installed there may be more specifics settings. I think Gigabyte's version is called Easy Tune, or something like that.
    Oh God, I forgot about that cr@p!! Geez, I hate that stupid bloated junk software! Hardware manufacturers often make the worst software!

I always forget about that stuff because I never install it! The first thing I do when I open a new hardware package is take the included CD and chuck it in the trash!

Quote Originally Posted by saphalline View Post
    It's in the power profiles in the Control Panel. Assuming WinXP, Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance (if you have the "new" CP look) -> Power Options -> Power Schemes tab -> Power Schemes drop-down -> set this to "Always on", and make sure the other drop-down boxes are set to "Never".

In addition to this, laptops/notebooks often have many more options related to power saving modes and features. These are not shown or included when Windows is installed onto a desktop system.

Thanks for your help, but i have windows vista , i can't seem to find the settings. Does anyone know how to disable cpu throttling in vista? I have also just downloaded easytune 5 but i can't seem to find any settings about cpu throttling

Thanks
    Last edited by Gigabite; 08-08-2007 at 03:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Control Panel -> Power Options -> choose "High performance". Mess with the additional settings on the left side if you wish.

Thread Information