Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: How to get System Memory specs in CentOs 4?

How to get System Memory specs in CentOs 4?

Hello,

How will I get the system memory specs (e.g. whether SDRAM of DDR..,etc) under CentOS 4 vesion? What I have instead is the processor's info: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor 3000+ by taking this steps (GUI) "Start Menu" -> System Tools -> Index -> Processor. Though, there's a menu for Memory in the same path, it only gives me the size details and what I only know in CLI environment is -> cat /proc/meminfo command, which also shows the same. Thanks.

cant always have software tell u hardware!! i dont know cent operating systems but i dont like os tell me about hardware! not good enuf for things like that cuz ive seen os tell me many lies! =P some times tell me lies about ram or cpu, like on laptop when cpu clock spedd is slow on idle etc. can u check with ur eyes inside computer? those hardware profiles lies alot or cant tell u details or somethig. check with ur eyes to b sure cuz thats always best way or in bios to see actual speed or options.

so is this cent os like linux or distro? ive never seen so i will check on google. il like to see new os but not enuf computers to see them! =P

lshw might help

Perhaps it is native to CenOS but it is also here.

A number of approaches here.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Paul Komski:

Though I have not yet read thoroughly the articles on links you provided, I guessed they will be very useful..there's lots of interesting things to be learned upon.

red-daemon:

I got your point, indeed I really pulled the RAM out from its holder to get the specs I wanted. Mine was just to scout for possibilities of not using screw drivers when what I only need is a description of a piece of hardware.

By the way, thanks for your replies.

My home is by my Wife's side...otherwise, You can generally expect to find me in Minnesota...
    Red Daemon: CentOS is essentially Redhat made free. When you purchase Redhat, you are esentially purchasing the name (cheap) and the Support that it comes with (expensive). Some guy took a look at the legalese behind the EULA and realized that if he took apart the source, stripped out all references to the name RedHat, offered it for free, and without support, it was legal. Hence, Corporations (which oftentimes have ot use software that only support RedHat or SuSE) can have a free alternative to use if they have in-house developers or admins. Genius, really. Makes it nice for test systems, since those are so hard to track and license...and a test system isn't really a test sys unless the OS matches the production boxes...

Joboy: First off, you already have the type of memory, though you don't have the speed-Athlon 64, so far as I know, only supported DDR memory. I dont' think they ever put out a version that supported DDR2-I beleive AM2 only supports Athlon X2s. That being said, if you want full specs, assuming you have dmidecode installed, try "dmidecode -t 17". I took a look at the links posted above, and that seemed to be the most thorough way to find info-it was also the only one that I saw that read out the speed of the memory. It was not installed by default on my gentoo box (then again, is anythign? ::laughs:: ), so I did have to emerge it, but it may be already installed on your CentOS.

dmidecode basically reads your BIOS info, so it reports what type, speed, capacity, data width, each slot is-everythign that your bios knows. Or thinks. That last caveat is important-it will show you what your computer thinks it has, or is running now, so if you have your memory or CPU overclocked, that's what speed it'll show. Also, if it misread the specifications, it will be wrong. The only way to be 100% sure is to open the case-but at least with dmidecode, you can be 90% certain without a screwdriver...
    Last edited by Orion; 08-02-2007 at 07:00 PM. Reason: grammar
    "Many years have passed, and still I wonder why...the worst of men must fight-and the best of men must Die!"

Thread Information