Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: cable modem and n/w speed

cable modem and n/w speed

there is one question for which i would like some explanation. i stay in india. here ive taken a speed of 64kbps from my internet service provider.when shareaza starts at the bottom i see the incoming and out going traffic . the incoming speed is never more than 6 Kb/s and the out going speed is in just in bytes. i want to know where does the remaining speed goes i.e 55Kb/s

the other question is
    what is the difference between a normal modem which we connect to the phone and cable modem which my service provider has provided the connection of which goes to the lan card in my pc. why has he used a cable modem. why has he not connected his cable to the lan card directly

Well first your ISP should have given you an upstream and a downsteam speed. With the bigger numer being the best speed that you can download with and the smaller number being the speed with which you can upload with.

I would use the tool linked below to see what your connection speeds are, if you have any doubts. This will show you how close your connection speed comes to what the ISP says it should be.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Now as for the modems. First a modem simply modulates and demodulates (converts) a signal as it crosses between two media types that use different signals to transmit data. THe phone network use an analog signal (tones or sound waves converted to an electric signal) while the ethernet network uses a digtal signal (electric pulses on the wire which represent ones and zeros). So a phone modem coverts between the two.

A Cable modem acts like the "box" which connects your TV to a cable company's network. In other words it is setup to transmit data on a "channel" the cable company has setup to transmit data to the internet, where your TV's cable box can see all the cable channels the cable modem only uses the one set aside for it by the cable company (all ISP in a region, North America for example, use the same standard channel for this type of connection). Now your ISP uses a diffrent signal on a coax cable (TDMA/TDM) then the one on your ethernet network (802.3) or USB connection (NRZI). A cable modem job is to covert one signal to another and then transmit it on the proper cable "channel".

This is really a simply way of explaining it without going into the technical details of how cable networks work

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Ghost_Hacker; 08-07-2007 at 07:57 AM.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquistion:
    Rule # 47
    Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

Thread Information