Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Boot Up Error

Angry Boot Up Error

While booting I get the following error:

Error
    Invalid System Configuration Data
    Run configuration utility

Error
    Warning: IRQ not configured-PCI Display Controller
    Bus:00, Device: 14 Function:00
    Press F1 to resume F10 to setup

Compaq 4550---233 mhz
    I reinstalled factory disk and windows 98 and error still appearing

Please help...I am ready to give up...I replaced CMOS Battery and reset bios to default did not help....THANKS

------------------
    PCHERFEL

It looks to me that your video card wants an IRQ but can't find any that are free. It may be trying to grab the one used by the primary IDE controller (14).
    Sometimes, just changing the slot that the video card is on can fix this... if you feel comfortable opening the PC, try this carefully and see if it helps. Also, if you had your CMOS paramters reset, try reloading defaults, then check each screen for anything that seems out of the ordinary..

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Good old Compaq...my nomination for boat anchor of the century...(Sorry, had to say it...)

If you're not familiar with the BIOS, here's a very informative website that will be lots of help:
    BIOS Survival Guide

I also have other good links at my site, posted below.

ixl It's a Compaq, the video card is integrated onto the motherboard, and can't be moved to another slot. I'm amazed you didn't spot that, from the posts I've seen so far, you seem to know quite a bit about these infernal confusers...But I think you're right about the IRQ problem, or at least real close.

Another note, Compaq's store part of the BIOS in a second partition on the hard drive, along with the installation files. This might also somehow figure into this problem.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Heh.. you got me Pete. I can only plead fatigue from doing so much code hacking on these forums.
    Also, I have very little experience with retail-brand PCs because I avoid them as much as possible.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Thread Information