Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: NIC Loopback

Post NIC Loopback

What does a successful NIC loopback (PING 127.0.0.1) tell you? Does it confirm the cable working, or just the NIC?

Blog Entries

I may be totally wrong here, but I think that's your machines base IP address, so that ping wound only confirm that the NIC is working. To check the cable you would need to ping another machine on the network.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Smile

If you "ping" with the IP address of your PC you are only testing the NIC. If you "ping" with the IP address of a remote PC on the network (or crossover cable if only two machines connected) you are testing the cable as well.

ping 127.0.0.1 simply tests the protocols in control panel, you don't even need a nic card in order for it to work.

like said, ping another computer to test the nic and cabling.

------------------
    Joe Redd
    MCP
    Joe Redd

Thread Information