Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: FCS Fairchild PC

Thumbs up FCS Fairchild PC

My brother in law gave me a FCS computer. It has an 800 mhz processor at the present time-but of course I want to do a little upgrading. I'm assuming that in order to upgrade the processor, i need to know what motherboard it has. Unless somebody already knows off the top of their head, where do i look for the mb manufacturer? The processor is an AMD. The motherboard also has a heatsink with the words"T-Bird" by AMD on it. I've googled FCS and Fairchild computers without much luck. Now it's time to ask the REAL search engine-you.

Running within Windows...
    The FREE System Information for Windows [SIW] is PORTABLE, which means it puts no settings in the registry, can be run from anywhere that Windows can access [floppy, USB Flash Drive, USB HDD etc], and displays LOTS of info about hardware [mobo] and software.

One I like that runs outside of Windows is...
    Aida16 run from the FREE Emergency Boot CD [EBCD].

It's a slot A processor right? The old cartridge style? I think those maxed out
    at 1 Ghz and then they switched to socket style CPUs. If I'm correct on both counts I'm not sure it'd even be worth the effort to upgrade the cpu..might not see much of a performance gain.
    Anyway..here's a link to some more info on the slot A Athlons. http://www.dansdata.com/thunderbird.htm

AMD Duron

I'm the guy with the Thunderbird K-7 motherboard. I have found that i have an AMD Duron D800AUT1B processor. Can I replace this processor with any Slot A AMD Duron processor out there? Thanks>>David

What are my heatsink/fan requirements? Any general rules/formulas to follow?

Blog Entries
    Holy cow! That's like 7 years old!

The only place to find computer components that old is eBay.

Blog Entries
    Can I replace this processor with any Slot A AMD Duron processor out there?
    That depends on the motherboard. I would think most would handle up to the max speed actually produced, since they were short lived and designed to be forward compatible to an extent. The only way to know for sure is to identify the motherboard and look up its specs. It will probably handle Athlon too, the better of the two.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information