Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Intel Core 2 Duo Too many... need help

Question Intel Core 2 Duo Too many... need help

My head is spinning... what is now the "middle of the road" Intel Core 2 Duo cpu?

Not including overclocking what is now the biggest bang for the buck?

E6600 through E6750 would be my choice right now.

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that other factors will need to be considered. For instance, if your mobo doesn't support the new 1333 FSB, then the "new" ones like the E6750 won't work. Incompatible.

There's also the Core 2 Quad Q6600, which is sitting nicely now under $300. Even more confusing, I know! But if you're looking for a definite here's-what-you-should-buy answer, we'll need more info.

Looking to do a MB-CPU-Ram upgrade

Still running a socket 939 DDR timeline rig. I was looking at the GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R. With the plan of going the way of duel core / DDR2 with the option down the road of going quad core with DDR3. I don't need SLI and want to get a MB that can last a long time (get a 2nd CPU installed) before needing to be upgraded.

Unless going with a lower end Nvidia MB with only DDR2 and not have the option for DDR3. Maybe I am just too worried about DDR3 and should just zero in on going duel core to quad core chipset.

Blog Entries
    DDR3 is not ready for prime time and won't be for at least a year. It's OK to get a DDR3-compatible mobo since it uses the same slots as DDR2, but don't base your configuration on DDR3.

Quote Originally Posted by squarenuts
    want to get a MB that can last a long time (get a 2nd CPU installed) before needing to be upgraded.
    That's what I always do! I expect any mobo of mine to last 2-3 CPU upgrades. If it can't, it's not the right mobo/chipset/whatever.

If you're starting over, aim for whatever C2D you can fit in your budget that follows the E6x50 model schemes. Ie, E6550, E6750, E6850, etc. These are the ones that use the new design and new 1333 FSB. They're the ones to buy right now.

As for the mobo, NVidia's 650i/680i series are good for SLI goodness on Intel systems, but also consider the Intel P35 and X38. Besides, not all of the older 600i-series mobo's support the new 1333 FSB, so watch out!

Thread Information