Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: icons blurry

icons blurry

Hello,

I recently got a new monitor, an HP widescreen w2007. Ever since I installed it, some of my Windows icons are displaying blurry. The ones that are showing up blurry are the tray icons, all Outlook icons, the IE title bar icon, and the Windows Explorer folder icons.

This is not a major issue as I can access all items, however, improvement on the display of these icons could be better.

Thanks,

Peter

What resolution are you running on the new monitor?
    What is the "native" resolution for that monitor?
    Are you using "Cleartype"?

My resolution is 1680 X 1050, and this is the native resolution for this monitor.

I am using Cleartype.

Thanks,

Peter

Has this been a problem before the fix in this thread?http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58919
    "...wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Roger Waters

Hi Sassie,

This problem occurred at the same time as the other problem, which is when I got the new widescreen monitor. The first problem has been fixed by changing my connection to a VGA cable. I tried the DVI cable, but it didn't fix the problem.

Anyway, only certain icons are blurry. My desktop icons and Quick Launch icons are fine. The only ones that are blurry are the IE title bar icon, all Outlook icons and the Windows Explorer tree icons.

BTW, thanks for your help so far.

Peter

You did mention the System Tray (notification) icons as well.
    Let's try this; Go to your display properties by right clicking on a empty space of your desktop, choose> Display Properties> Apperance tab> Advance. The Advanced Appearance window will open , use the drop down menu under "Item" and choose "Active Title Bar" look at the settings for size. are they similar to my settings here? You may need to adjust these.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "...wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Roger Waters

OK, thanks, that fixed the title bar icons. The only thing is now the title bar itself is very thin, and it's hard to locate when I need to move the window. Anyway, the title bar icon is clear now.

How about your tray icons?

tray icons are fixed. They look OK. I don't know if I'll keep this setting, though, as I mentioned my title bar is so thin, and my max/min/close buttons in IE are so small they are hard to locate.

Ok, go back to the "Item" drop down menu and select "Captions Buttons" increase that size to 23, select ok then apply.

Hi Sassie,

That increased the title bar size to a normal size, however, now the title bar icons are back to blurry. I have the caption buttons settings at 18. If it goes any higher, the icons go back to blurry.

Thanks,

Peter

Wow Peter I am at a loss here.

I would suggest you call support since this is a new monitor. I would also have them try to troubleshoot your Digital input.

I believe your DVI cable may be faulty, or your interface, either on your PC or the monitor.

Sorry I could not help you.

thanks for everything Sassie, I'll look into it.

There is one other thing I would like you to check.

In Display Properties> Settings> Advanced. What is your DPI setting? Normal 96 DPI? If it's not change to that setting.

That fixed it!

All my icons are clear. Some things have become a bit smaller, like my favorites menu and my Outlook menu. Also, it looks like my Outlook fonts shrunk a bit. But overall a great improvement. The new look will take awhile to get used to, but should be no problem.

Thanks for your efforts,

Peter

WoooHooo!
    I mean, you're welcome!

The new look will take awhile to get used to, but should be no problem.
    When I fist hooked up my 19" LCD (upgrade from a CRT15" I think) I noticed everything was waaaay smaller, but, soon got used to that
    Last edited by sassie05; 09-16-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: missing info

Ya know, your DVI issue is still bothering me.
    Maybe you should still call support and see if you can get that resolved?

Thread Information