Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: BKF Files Extract with Linux

BKF Files Extract with Linux

Hi again.... The 2-year Linux newbie is back...

I would like to do the following:

Create a backup of a Windows 2003 Directory (approx 800 MB) using BackupExec 11D, with the target of the backup (a.k.a. Backup-to-Disk Folder) being a Samba share running on RHEL 4 (this part works already, actually). This creates a very large BKF file on the Linux share, which is actually sort of the problem.

I don't want a BKF file, but instead I would rather have the files appear in the Samba share as they do on the Windows server - extracted.

Normally to accomplish this once I would just retarget a restore job from BackupExec to the Linux share - easy enough and this works too - once...

But this job needs to run every week since the contents of the source changes each week, so a repeat restore job is unfortunately not an option in this case...

Instead I'm thinking of leaving BackupExec to run the backup job once a week, creating the BKF file as it does now. Then I'd like to have cronjob run a script to extract the contents, also once a week...

There is a tool I found with a Google search called mtftar that seems to be able to do what I need, but I wanted to first find out:

Does anyone have any experience using mtftar?

http://www.robdelorenzo.com/linux/utilities/mtftar./

If so, where would be the best place to put this command on my Linux box (it's actually our HTTP and FTP server)? It's a little confusing because when I unpack the installation tarball there are actually no executable files with mtftar...

Normally I would just try it out and see if it works, but I don't want to mess around with an unknown tool, and maybe accidentally render our web server useless...

Thanks in advance for any input.

Explain why you're using Backup Exec at all. If I read your post correctly, all you want to do is copy and paste an 800 mb folder to a samba share. Why not just write a batch file that copies the folder and contents to the Samba share an overwrites previous content and then schedule it to run once a week?
    “The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with those of Christianity." -John Quincy Adams

Good question. I guess my lack of knowledge in script writing is my only excuse .

I seem to always have problems with scripts and BackupExec offers me the nice GUI...

Any help in that arena would also be appreciated, as I really don't have to use BackupExec to accomplish the task at all... I just figured it was the easiest way...

But you are correct, I simply want to copy the contents from a windows share and overwrite the contents of a Samba share once a week. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Either I can write the batch file for you and post it, or I can accuse you of being lazy and give you a link on how to write batch files. Since I am actually quite lazy myself...

http://www.aumha.org/a/batches.php

But seriously, batch files are pretty easy and should present only the most easily surmountable challenge to you. Better yet, learn a thing or two about shell scripting and you can do the same thing from the linux side. Shell scripting looks way better on a resume.

http://www.hsrl.rutgers.edu/ug/shell_help.html
    “The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with those of Christianity." -John Quincy Adams

No, I'll write it myself...

Actually I was trying to avoid the script writing in this case in favor of BackupExec, but it looks like it's going to take a manual effort no matter how you slice it...

Thanks

OK, I wrote a pretty simple VBS Script that works fine...

I just had to map the Samba share as a network drive on the Windows system and use the force user and force group tags in the smb.conf file in order to preserve the Linux folder permissions.

Other than that, it wasn't as painful as I had imagined

One easiest solution can be to install OS on the new system and then restore all required data to the installed OS and you can again gain access to all the important files files.
    If you have much money then you can also try out extracting BKF files with the aid of bkf repair tool. I have personally tried out this software program and it has worked great for me.

Thread Information