Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: How do I find info for my Quanta Motherboard / BIOS?

How do I find info for my Quanta Motherboard / BIOS?

I have a Compaq Presario 2200 laptop.

According to "Belarc" software, my motherboard info is:
    Main Circuit Board Board:
    Quanta 3084 41.0B
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.15 11/09/2004

According to this link on HP's website:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=442823&os=228

The current BIOS version for my motherboard is F.16.

However, according to this link in another forum:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=159269

Upgrading from F.15 to F.16 decreases the video performance (at least for the person who posted the thread).

I'd like to read something along the lines of release notes for the different BIOS versions, to decide if there is any reason for me to do this upgrade. But I can't find any more info, either on HP's site or elsewhere, about my motherboard or BIOS or BIOS versions. There is a sticky thread in this forum about links to motherboard manufacturers, but it doesn't mention Quanta. The closest thing I've found so far is this link:
    http://www.wimsbios.com/manuf/quanta.jsp
    but I cannot find 3084 in the list of Quanta models.

Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by glengels View Post
    I have a Compaq Presario 2200 laptop.

According to "Belarc" software, my motherboard info is:
    Main Circuit Board Board:
    Quanta 3084 41.0B
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.15 11/09/2004

According to this link on HP's website:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=442823&os=228

The current BIOS version for my motherboard is F.16.

However, according to this link in another forum:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=159269

Upgrading from F.15 to F.16 decreases the video performance (at least for the person who posted the thread).
    Why do you want to upgrade the BIOS in the first place?

If you aren't having any problems, need to have a 'feature' in the new one or something along those lines, then don't...

Quote Originally Posted by glengels View Post
    but I cannot find 3084 in the list of Quanta models.
    Two very good reasons why you won't find any info...it is a laptop motherboard and it is a proprietary HP/Compaq 'contract' board...

It may have a motherboard manufacturer's signature (to make Windows happy), but in reality it is built to HP's specifications under contract so any/all info about it will come from HP...and they are not known for providing full details about their boards.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    Why do you want to upgrade the BIOS in the first place?

If you aren't having any problems, need to have a 'feature' in the new one or something along those lines, then don't...
    To answer your question, the main reason I am looking at this is that I have started running Linux, and am having trouble getting the Suspend feature to work. From reading around on the web, I see that sometimes the problem is the way the BIOS tables have been tuned to only support Windows. At least one or two such pages advise upgrading to the latest BIOS version to see if it fixes the problem.

But after seeing the page saying that this particular upgrade may decrease video performance (mentioned in my original post), I was hoping to find more information about releases for this BIOS in general.

I've been able to find HP motherboard info in the past for desktop models (although I had to hunt a bit for it), but this is the first time I've looked for this laptop. Like you said, the fact that this is a laptop apparently makes a difference and HP doesn't seem to really tell anything.

I wouldn't worry about the video performance...especially if you aren't going to be running Windows on the beast.

And, yeah, their info is a bit hard to find for desktops and nearly impossible for laptops...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information