Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: how do motherboards work?

Post how do motherboards work?

I got this stupid assignment at school where we have to build a pc and I need to know how a motherboard works.
    I might ask some more Q's so This topic might be refreshed by me.
    thanx

Man that's great wish I had an assignment like that in school. But I was out long before home computers. well anyway I built my first last Aug. and got all my info from here http://pcguide.com/ and also here http://www.motherboards.org/index.html good luck and have some fun.
    Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.

Blog Entries

School?

Library!

I bet they have just the book for you. If not, the local public library should have plenty. The sites posted above should help too.

------------------
    So many idiots, and only six bullets...
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

I already looked in the library.
    besides,This forum is made for questions anyway right?
    thannx for anserin' my Q.
    Does anyone think there is any money in buildin' custom computers and sellin' them online or something?
    thanx

Blog Entries

Sorry, I don't intend this to be rude, but if you looked in the library, it's either a crummy library or you didn't look hard enough, or maybe looked in the wrong place.

I have one of the best collections of computer related books in this area, 2 good sized boxes full and a dozen or more lying around for easy access, and the local library makes me look like a beginner.

As far as making money building computers...not unless you can build a top notch machine in under 3 hours, and build a reputation for building the best machines in your area. Repair is usually the "bread and butter" of local shops. Advertising won't hurt much either...but you have to pay for that...

The reason is you can't get the kind of prices on hardware that major manufacturers can. They order 10,000 motherboards at a time or more, and get them at half the price you pay or less. Same for every other component inside. Therefore you, as a small local builder, pay twice as much for the components, and make half as much profit or less.

Add to that the good possibility that only one out of every twenty potential customers, or less, will actually purchase one, and you'd better have a hefty bankroll to exist on while you wait for them to place their orders.

------------------
    So many idiots, and only six bullets...
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

-- Wisconsin, U S A -- Ahh, The Power of Cheese !

Welcome, SlashDog! For some reference, background and theory, start with this section of The PC Guide.

------------------
    "When I nod my head, hit it with the hammer."
    -- (Moe, holding nail, to Curly, holding hammer)
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."
    -- Homer Simpson

What are the etherlink 3 and kingston technology PSC things and what do they do?

To quote my Dad, LCTEK...

How do Motherboards work?

PFM. Pure Eff-ing MAGIC!

------------------
    Age and Treachery will forever triumph over Youth and Skill.

if you use the "Search Engine" - within this site, you will find allot of answers to your questions.

------------------
    sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage

As you can "hopefully" tell by now Slashdog.......this is not a "SPOON FEED" forum. The questions you will find most folks glad to respond to are a bit more in depth and demonstrate the poster has already done a bit of the work........A question like "How does a motherboard work?" indicates you want to be spoon fed the answers to a homework problem...we dont usually do that here.

------------------
    Will XP save Me ?
    XP didn't save Me !

Okay slashdog, here goes. The motherboard is really nothing more than a giant conglomeration of wires herded together into one inconvenient package. Each component requires certain things to do its job. The MB routes addresses, data, power, and control signals to the various and sundry components that require them. (processor, memory, expansion slots, etc.) Yes, there are small chips and components on the MB, but they probably do a lot less than you might think. MBs with onboard technology, that is to say junk, tend to save a lot of money when building a computer, but tend to be more costly to fix.
    There you have it. Print this and hand it in.
    “The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with those of Christianity." -John Quincy Adams

ROTFLMAO@yawningdog!

------------------

W
    O
    W
    !
    !
    !
    !

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

All Control Agents must memorize Rule 5 before proceding to Rule 6
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information