Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Is Windows Defender sufficient?

Is Windows Defender sufficient?

Hi, I extend Complements of the Season to all and family!

Here is a situation I'd like some input on from the spyware experts here:

I run Windows XP Home Edition, and run Windows Defender, once per day, quick scan. Is this sufficient by itself to take deal with spyware?

PS: I also have Spybot Search & Destroy installed which I keep updated and run approx once per week.. (I am thinking of deleting this program).

Recently, I read an article (online) in PC World which states that Spyware Doctor (which I don't have installed) is a much better program that Spybot..

What do you guys think..

Should I just keep Win Defender and forget about the others?

Thanks for your help.

I don't really use Windows Defender myself. I have read it works well enough, but it is made by MS. Not that I have anything against Microsoft, but dealing with security threats is not what they are known for and not a primary concern for the company.

Spybot works very well for me. I install it on all of my computers, and keep it up to date, and scan at least monthly. I like it because it is free, so the old excuse of not getting updates because a subscription expired is not valid. If you want a pay solution Spysweeper works well.

Then you need an antivirus solution as well. I like AVG free edition, again free updates means no excuse to not have an up to date definition base. It also works very well as far as I am concerned, and I have used it for years without issues. As far as Pay versions go I am a fan of TrendMicro and Kaspersky. Both work well and are light and unobtrusive.
    Erik

If you are talking about using ONLY Windows Defender as your protection against all infections, it is not even close to sufficient... If you are talking about just dealing with malware threats, it is okay... I was actually purchased from another company that does focus on malware, so it is a pretty decent program... If you are not running it in resident mode, you need to either turn it or TeaTimer (in Spybot) on... Do not run both in resident mode at the same time... Scanning on a daily basis is probably overkill unless you are very careless about what you do online... If you are, then scanning daily won't protect you anyway... If you are careful, I see no reason to add any other antispyware programs...

If you do not have an antivirus and firewall installed and active, it is like preparing to go out in a blizzard by making sure you have a really good pair of boots and then going out without any other clothes... You will not last long before you get frostbite in some very sensitive parts...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Budfred View Post
    If you are talking about using ONLY Windows Defender as your protection against all infections, it is not even close to sufficient... If you are talking about just dealing with malware threats, it is okay... I was actually purchased from another company that does focus on malware, so it is a pretty decent program... If you are not running it in resident mode, you need to either turn it or TeaTimer (in Spybot) on... Do not run both in resident mode at the same time... Scanning on a daily basis is probably overkill unless you are very careless about what you do online... If you are, then scanning daily won't protect you anyway... If you are careful, I see no reason to add any other antispyware programs...

If you do not have an antivirus and firewall installed and active, it is like preparing to go out in a blizzard by making sure you have a really good pair of boots and then going out without any other clothes... You will not last long before you get frostbite in some very sensitive parts...
    Thanks guys for the quick responses. Seems that I am OK, I always have my Windows firewall turned on and I use the AVG Free Edition antivirus also, along with Spybot and Windows Defender.

Could you please advise how to run Windows Defender in resident mode? Also, how to turn on Tea Timer in spybot? -- can't do it as the icon is not in the tray.

Thanks again.

I believe Windows Defender resident mode is on by default when installed... Open it and check settings to be sure...

Spybot TeaTimer has a setting in Spybot to activate, but if you are running Defender in resident mode, it will likely decrease your protection and possibly bog down your system to run them both at the same time... If you wish to use it, you need to make sure Defender is not on...

The Windows firewall only provides protection against incoming threats and that is not sufficient... I suggest you install one of the free versions available online and turn Windows firewall off...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Thread Information