Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: IE7 opening two pages

IE7 opening two pages

I have IE7 with XP home SP2.

Recently when I open IE it often opens with two pages. I have Google as my home page and it opens with two Googles.

I have current Windows Updates and AVG Free AV, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware 2007.Scans have been run recently.

Any idea why this has started to happen?

Thanks.
    trapper

1. Are you double-clicking on the IE shortcut?

2. And is Windows configured to only need a hover [of the cursor over the object] to "select" [highlight], and a single click to "choose" ["Open" the file]?
    If so, a double-click would "Open" 2 copies of IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander View Post
    1. Are you double-clicking on the IE shortcut?

2. And is Windows configured to only need a hover [of the cursor over the object] to "select" [highlight], and a single click to "choose" ["Open" the file]?
    If so, a double-click would "Open" 2 copies of IE.
    No, I click once on the Quick Launch icon in the task bar.
    I have replaced the IE icon in Quick Launch with hopes that that would fix it, but no.
    Now I'm trying to just open IE by way of Start ---- but we'll see if that does anything with the problem. It is a very small problem but thought that someone might have the answer.

Even tho it's a small problem I have been thinking about going back to IE6 and then updating to IE7 again. Or, what do you and others think of that idea?

Thanks for your reply!
    trapper

If you go that rout, it might be faster to go to add remove, and then to Windows add remove components (an option on the left hand side.) There you can just uninstall it, and reinstall it with a series of clicks.

You may want to take this opertunity to switch to a safer web browser like Opera or Firefox. They add a bit more security, and a lot more flexibility. Both of those are better the Internet Explorer.

IE7 can be configured to open more than one home page at startup. Maybe check the settings.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Ie7 setting

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Komski View Post
    IE7 can be configured to open more than one home page at startup. Maybe check the settings.
    Paul K:

I went into Internet Options, Advanced, but didn't see anything checked to that effect.
    Could you please tell me how to check that out.

Thanks.
    trapper

Attached pic shows a two tab home page setting using Yahoo and Google in IE7.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks Paul!
    trapper

Ie7 setting

So far I have tried replacing the IE icon in Quick Launch ----didn't work, still intermittantly have two pages open up.
    Using the replaced IE shortcut icon on desktop ----- didn't work.
    What seems to keep working (so far) is to go to Start, then IE.

Perhaps I should just carry on that way?

However, I am still considering rolling back to IE6 thru Add/Remove ----- then updating again to IE7 thru Windows Updates. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?
    trapper

intermittantly have two pages open up.
    Is this two separate windows or two tabs in one window?

I doubt you need to roll back but its strange it is intermittent. Are you by any chance sometimes double clicking when your Folder Options are set for single click. If set for single click all icons on the desktop etc will behave like links and the cursor turns to a hand.

If you do the add remove way, it will be uninstalling IE 7 and reinstalling IE 7. I've only messed with that a little, but when you upgrade to IE 7, I believe that the installer is upgraded as well.

In addition to Paul Komski's Question, I was wondering if it is the same home page for both. (they both have google, or what ever your homepage should be set to.)

Paul:
    Two separate windows.
    Double click setting.

awage:
    No, I know that you can roll back to IE6.
    Both pages are Google.
    Thanks!
    trapper

I'm nearly out of ideas and sorry for duplicating what Sylvander suggested right at the start.

If its only from the Quick Launch area then try deleting it. Make a new shortcut to IE on the desktop, try it out there and then drag that icon into the Quick Launch area. Or is that what you did do already. Since the Quick Launch icon responds to a single click, is it possible your mouse is too sensitive or that you are sometimes inadvertenly double clicking it.
    Last edited by Paul Komski; 01-22-2008 at 04:28 AM.

What if the mouse is faulty?

But then how come the problem only exists with the shortcut in the Quick Launch area?

Paul:
    Already tried that. No, I'm sure that I'm not inadvertantly double clicking it.

Sylvander:
    It only happens to the IE icon in Quick Launch. It doesn't happen to OE when I open it from Quck Launch.
    Currently I just go to Start, IE and it continues to work okay.

Thank you for trying guys!
    trapper

IE7 opening two pages

Just thought I'd let you all know how I made out with my little problem:
    Yesterday I did following:
    Reset IE7 ----- didn't help.
    Uninstalled IE7 (thru Add/Remove) and rolled back to
    IE6.
    Then I went into Windows Updates and reinstalled IE7 ----plus the Updates that were needed.

I should have saved my energy! as I'm back to square one.
    I now open IE7 thru Start, IE7, and no problem that way.
    It still ticks me off but---oh well.
    trapper

Thread Information