Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Cant delete file!!

Cant delete file!!

There is an mp3 on my desktop (i have desktop as default for downloads) that i cannot delete... when i click to delete it it says the file is no longer on my desktop?!?!? how can this be, i can see it right there... anyways i have vista home and help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

It is probably a malware file...they often have malformed, illegal characters or odd character sets in the file name to make them particularly hard to delete.

What AV do you have and do you have UAC turned on or off?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

i hava uac turned on and i have avg, im almost posotive its not malware, i downloaded the mp3 with youtube downloader.... any suggestions? if it malware what do i do?

For starters, get a second opinion by using one of the online AV scanners...

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Have you tried restarting your computer?
    CPU: Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.6Ghz GPU: Sapphire 4870 512MB
    Mobo: ASUS P5E RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 w/DHX
    HDDs: 1x74GB Raptor; 2x500GB WD5000AAKS
    Display: Samsung 226BW Sound: X-Fi ExtremeGamer

Two things that scream malware to me...undeletable media file and youtube...

Thread Information