Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Gaming PC

Gaming PC

I currently am using a 4 year old laptop and have decided to buy a desktop PC. I have been looking through websites trying to decide on which PC but as I dont know that much about computers am a little lost.

I am looking for a desktop mainly for gaming, world of warcraft being the game I mainly play. I want to spend about 1,000, maybe just over and want a 22" - 24" monitor. Like I said I don't know much about computers and can't tell what things to look for in gaming PC's. I guess graphics cards and hard drive are key things but I don't know what is good and what is not.

I saw a really nice 'alienware' desktop that had good reviews but I'm guessing I would be paying extra for the name and design.

So can anyone recomend a great gaming desktop for me to buy that wont break the bank but could be upgraded in the future, or any advice on what 'must haves' when buying a gaming desktop?

Thanks for your time.

hello thiefofalways and welcome to

before we get started
    -would you be happy om building your own PC, its pretty simple and just requires a screwdriver, a cup of coffee and 20 mins of time and can save a great deal..

-will you be planning on playing any other games apart from WoW?

These are two very good sites for people in the Uk

www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.scan.co.uk

Have a look on there and put some pieces down you will want and i will tell you if they will work or give you a hand building a nice rig
    My Computer

Parts:
    CPU: Q9450 @ 3.6Ghz(OC'd)1800Mhz FSB
    Mobo: EVGA 780i
    GPU: HD 5870 (I have two but only got one in at the moment)
    PSU: 1000w Corsair
    Ram: 4GB Corsair dominator DDR2 1066Mhz
    Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2
    Monitor: Samsumg 226BW 22" and secondary 17" LCD
    Speakers: logitech Z5400
    Case: Silverstone Tj07

Water cooling:
    Loop 1: Mobo NB & Mofset with Zalman resorator
    Loop 2: CPU (Ek supreme) with MCP 355 XSPC acrylic top 360 & 240 mm rad

I'm not a big fan of alienware, since Dell owns it and I hate Dell for many, many reasons... however, ibuypower.com and cyberpower.com sell some excellent and affordable gaming rigs if you want to go that way. Newegg.com has some prebuilt systems in stock as well.

Of course, if you want to build a machine yourself... this forum is full of helpful advice!
    Current build:
    Cooler Master HAF 922 case
    Thermaltake 750 watt modular psu
    MSI P67A-C43 board
    8 GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1300
    Intel core i5 Sandy Bridge quad core@ 3.3 ghz
    MSI GTX 570
    WD 2 TB HDD
    64-bit Windows 7
    Rosewill USB Wirless Adapter
    LG Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive
    I'm a PC!