Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Ethernet MAC Address & CM USB MAC Address

Ethernet MAC Address & CM USB MAC Address

The following three number or information are on the label on the modem and were provided to comcast.
    Serial Number
    HFC MAC Address
    CPE USB MAC Address

Ethernet MAC Address & CM USB MAC Address are shown on the address page of Motorola cable modem manager along with the above information but they differ from the HFC MAC Address (on the modem and provided it to comcast) on the last letter. Is this normal or a problem? The internet works good. I bet if I call comcast the customer representative will have no idea what they are.

Does your post have a point?
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

The post is a little unclear and worded oddly but I think you are asking why the MAC address is different between the label on the outside of the modem and in the software set up of the modem itself?

If that is the case, you should remember that a MAC address is like any other address, it is changeable and is simply a unique designator. It could be that Comcast buys different kinds of modems but they have their own standard for MAC addresses and once the modems are connected to their network, they change the WAN side ports MAC address to match their standard.

I believe cable modems are more reliant on MAC addresses than say a DSL modem or a router because cable networks are basically large LAN's. In a switched network the MAC address is used for connectivity. Switches use MAC addresses, routers use IP addresses. So maybe they use layer 3 switches for the connection points. If this was the case, having MAC address standards across the network is much simpler - just a guess, but a educated one.

Thread Information