Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: new to the pc world

Smile new to the pc world

i have decided to make a switch from mac to pc, and hope to get a notebook here pretty soon. I mostly would use the laptop for internet, email, games, and photoshop related stuff. I want a computer that will be able to play those mmorpg online games. I looked at the Toshiba notebooks, and they seem pretty affordable. I'm looking to spend about $400-500 maybe $600 on one.
    I got the system requirements for the games I want to be able to play:

CPU- Pentium III 1GHz or more or Pentium 4 1.8 GHz or more
    Memory- 256MB or more or 512MB or more
    Graphics- 64MB or more VRAM or 128 or more VRAM
    Hard disk- 2GB or more
    OS- Windows 2000 professional, Windows XP Home edition/professional ( not Windows XP pro x64 edition)
    Misc. This requires DirectX9.0c
    ADSL 1.5mbps or more
    I think directx you have to download....

the other game is the same requirements except:
    Graphics- 32MB or more VRAM
    3D accelerator chip
    Misc.- MS-IME

That gives a little more detail on what I am looking for.

I found this computer. Can anyone tell me if this one is alright?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

Okay, so a simple answer is that this will run many mmorpgs, but I would need to know which ones in particular you want to play to be certain. The down side is it will not run them well. They will look pretty lousy and run very slowly.

You are not going to be able to find a gaming-capable laptop for $600. No such machine exists that I know of. Also, your initial hardware list is about 3 years out of date.

To play games on any computer these days, you should have at a BARE MINIMUM:
    An Intel Core 2 or Athlon X2 cpu, preferably 2.6 Ghz or better, 2.2 for quad core.
    A dedicated graphics card, NOT ONBOARD VIDEO! You really should have 512 MB of Video memory, but 256 MB will do in a real monetary pinch.
    A 2 GB hard disk is not large enough to hold an operating system. You will want at least 150 GB to work comfortably, but you can go lower if you plan on installing very few programs and storing very little data on your computer. That 2 GB of disk space is just to install the game itself, not the entire hard drive.

These requirements you listed will probably run the games you want to play at a terrible framerate on poor quality settings, but I can't say that for sure unless you tell me specifically what games you wish to play.
    Current build:
    Cooler Master HAF 922 case
    Thermaltake 750 watt modular psu
    MSI P67A-C43 board
    8 GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1300
    Intel core i5 Sandy Bridge quad core@ 3.3 ghz
    MSI GTX 570
    WD 2 TB HDD
    64-bit Windows 7
    Rosewill USB Wirless Adapter
    LG Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive
    I'm a PC!

the games are in japanese on gunho.co.jp website. I don't know if that helps any.

Not quite heartborne

I agree his specs are just a little out of date. But $600 can certainly buy a fine economy-gaming laptop. I bought mine from ebay for about $200 including shipping (granted i got lucky because the same desktop was bidding for up to $400 at times). It has 512 mb ddr2 ram with 256 mb Nvidia 6100 video card, 76 gb harddrive. It didn't have an operating system and only came with the PC (no mouse, keyboard, monitor, or speakers), but it only cost me $200 dollars and plays anything before 2005 at least on lower settings. $600 can probably get him something much better than the specs I listed. Certainly better than the specs he listed. Happy shopping

p.s. if you want a notebook it's going to be a little more expensive...

I also found this one it's a little cheaper. I don't want like the ultimate gaming laptop, just one that will simply run the online games, and game CD-ROMs.
    Here is a Toshiba I found:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1203815723537

don't get me wrong, Pocky. A top of the line gaming laptop would be a little closer to $2k $3k.

Congrats to Jerkto on a pretty good find. That's still quite out of date, but if it runs the games to your satisfaction then bravo.

The trouble with laptops is that they usually have integrated everything, they are very difficult to upgrade and in most cases the stock parts aren't any good for gaming. In the case of what Jerkto found, that is what I call "game capable" and a similar setup might work just fine for you.

The main thing is that you want at least a dual core processor, Nvidia or ATI graphics and a decent amount of RAM. I say in general 1.5 GB for XP or 2 GB or more for Vista.

When I have a bit more time I'll have a look at the machine you listed, as well as dig a bit deeper into what the recommended system requirements are for the games you are talking about.
    Current build:
    MSI P67A-C43 board
    MSI GTX 570
    WD 2 TB HDD
    64-bit Windows 7
    I'm a PC!

The toshiba looks okay, and from what you've posted I think it will run your games. It is still a few years out of date, but the specs it has should suit your needs quite well as far as just playing what seem to be pretty low-tech games.

I was not able to load the gunho.co.jp website, so I couldn't bring up what you were looking for.

I still strongly suggest that you get a computer with Nvidia or ATI graphics, but if you can't find one that fits your price range you may have to settle for the significantly choppier graphics.

So, will the Toshiba you linked run your games? Yes. Will it run them well? I can't say for sure, but I don't see you having any major problems. I don't want to say "yes, it's good" and then have you post back saying the games would not run.
    Current build:
    MSI P67A-C43 board
    MSI GTX 570
    WD 2 TB HDD
    64-bit Windows 7
    I'm a PC!

this is the cheepest thing with a dedicated card i could find: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115412

Blog Entries
    An equally applicable question is: From which Mac are you switching? If you currently have a dual-G5 tower and are getting away from Apple simply because of x86 then a lowbie PC laptop will disappoint you.

I also was unable to get to any site with that link you gave - typo?

Heartborne - Keep in mind that not all MMO's are like WoW or EQ2 or Guild Wars. There are many many more that are popping up all over the web that are free/cheap browser-based games, like the Flash games you see on www.bored.com, etc. Gotta broaden your horizons and realize that when some people say the phrase "computer games" they really mean online card gambling sites.

Not me, of course, but some people...

here is the link again, sorry for the mistake.this link has more than one games listed.
    http://www.gungho.jp/game/online/

these links are to the games I want to be able to play:
    http://www.econline.jp/start/ ( Emil Chronicle Online)
    and
    http://www.yogurting.jp/ ( Yogurting)

you can look around on those sites and it will have screen shots of the gamplay, and one of them has a little movie I think. The second game has more 2D graphics, but still some 3D I think.

I also found a gameplay video of both of the games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKugkBg-Af0 (emil chronicle online)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJm45nYglTk (yogurting)
    Last edited by addicted2pocky; 07-12-2008 at 03:17 AM.

From watching the gameplay videos, I'd say any half decent PC will be able to play those games (certainly anything you can find for $400-$600). But there are a lot of newer games you might be tempted to buy in the future. I had a lot of old games I thought I'd be happy with...but you know how it is with addictions =( Anyway, if you're the gaming type, try to find something with, quoting Heartborne, "Nvidia or ATI graphics and a decent amount of RAM." And hopefully a dedicated video card instead of an integrated one.

Quote Originally Posted by addicted2pocky View Post
    i have decided to make a switch from mac to pc, and hope to get a notebook here pretty soon. I mostly would use the laptop for internet, email, games, and photoshop related stuff. I want a computer that will be able to play those mmorpg online games. I looked at the Toshiba notebooks, and they seem pretty affordable. I'm looking to spend about $400-500 maybe $600 on one.
    I got the system requirements for the games I want to be able to play:

CPU- Pentium III 1GHz or more or Pentium 4 1.8 GHz or more
    Memory- 256MB or more or 512MB or more
    Graphics- 64MB or more VRAM or 128 or more VRAM
    Hard disk- 2GB or more
    OS- Windows 2000 professional, Windows XP Home edition/professional ( not Windows XP pro x64 edition)
    Misc. This requires DirectX9.0c
    ADSL 1.5mbps or more
    I think directx you have to download....

the other game is the same requirements except:
    Graphics- 32MB or more VRAM
    3D accelerator chip
    Misc.- MS-IME

That gives a little more detail on what I am looking for.
    yea that computer seems a little out of date. I wouldn't recommend it for wow.

Thread Information