Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Lost USB

Lost USB

I installed a clean XP Pro using the retail cd that came with the generic pc It has an ABIT BH7 motherboarfd in it. All seemed to go fine except it would not let me choose FAT32 and format. Looking over the install all the drivers are there. In device manager though I have three yellow exclamation marks all to do with USB. Shouldn't xp install the USB devices? If not what should be my next step?

Some motherboards, that came out around the time of USB 2.0 being finalized had driver 'issues'...

To completely fix the problem...run XP SP2 update and update the chipset drivers...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Could I skip the SP2 and install the SP3 with the same results?

Possibly...but the boards of that era, which the BH7 is one, have the chipset drivers geared towards SP2. They may not want to install in SP3, but if they are already installed, then SP3 has no problems with them and updates what it needs to. Some of the chipsets may have updated SP3 drivers, but it is doubtful that many do (although Via with 'unified' drivers might...Intel may, too) That is an i845 board so check with Intel for drivers...they would have the most recent/up-to-date ones.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thanks for the info. I was trying to save a step but will rethink that one.

i had something similar happen on an old motherboard that recently died on me. At first the USB was fine, but then it would start to give a power issue message even though the devices had their own power (rebooting fixed it but would reoccur once i plugged something in) and then over a period of time i got the yellow exclamation marks in device manager. Shortly after that (about a month or two) the motherboard finally died.

Thread Information