Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem running gaming apps

Problem running gaming apps

System Specs:
    4 Gig Ram
    Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz Processor
    Nvidia GeForce 8800GT (Evga)

So here's the deal. Whenever I run Unreal Tournament 3 the game freezes. No blue screen, it just freezes, the sound looping. I don't have any idea why. I've reinstalled UT, and even Vista to try to fix this. All drivers are up to date, everything.

What in the world could possibly be wrong?
    Mac: Crash Different

Game patches? Vista/XP up to date?
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

It's vista. Vista is up to date, and there are no game patches as far as I know.

I'm very frustrated. I have no idea what the problem is.

Patch 1.1

If that doesn't do it see if this helps from the UT3 forums FAQ's.

Getting a crash during the opening cinematic:
    1) Go to My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame
    2) Open and edit the UTEngine.ini
    3) Change PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled from False to True, and save the file. It should look like this: PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Well, now it won't even start. Instant I click the shortcut, it says that it's "stopped working".

Wow. Phail.

Anything?

It won't start after what? The patch? The tweak?

If you tried the tweak then undo it. Simply change it back to false and save the file.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

I didn't do anything. Before, it would run for around anywhere from 5-15 minutes before siezing up, and now, WITHOUT ME TOUCHING ANYTHING, it will not even start at all. It just says "the program has stopped working, windows is looking for a solution". Of course, windows doesn't find a solution. And I go back to wondering why, since I reinstalled vista, Unreal Tournament will not work. I'm downloading COD 4 now to see if it happens with another game. If so, then that narrows it down to everything.

Yay, I love computer problems. Any ideas?

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Kinda like gas and spark with an engine...did you run the HDD diagnostics and memtest??

If nothing shows up then you might want to try removing the side panel and let a fan gently blow on the innards...

HDD if failing can twist your troubleshooting brain around like a pretzel...I would suggest ruling that out first.
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Just to make it easier for everyone to better understand your problem and coordinate to help you solve it:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread...960#post401960

Good luck on getting your pc running again.
    If you can't solve a problem, remember you can always put more band-aids on it

Okay, I'll download memtest, can someone show me where to find an HDD diagnostic?

Quote Originally Posted by mxer394 View Post
    Okay, I'll download memtest, can someone show me where to find an HDD diagnostic?
    I tried using the windows HDD diagnostic, but I don't think it's a very good test, to be honest.

Anyone have a better one.

Who manufactured your hard drive?

Grab the diagnostics from the manufacturer's site.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    Who manufactured your hard drive?

Grab the diagnostics from the manufacturer's site.
    No idea. But for now, it doesn't matter. The GPU crapped out and I have another one on the way.

I got memtest on the disc, so I can run that once I get the computer working again.

How can I tell who manufactured my hard drive?

The sales reciept just says "320 Gigabyte hard drive". And when I go to device management it just says WDC (lots of fancy letters and numbers) SCSI Disc Device.

Also, it seems the problem has changed. Now the computer randomly restarts. I made it almost 15 minutes into a game of COD4 and it restarted. I'm going to try and run it some more. The only thing I did though was reinstall DX9/10 using an EVGA disc I got with my new 8800GT.
    Last edited by mxer394; 08-18-2008 at 10:12 PM.

WDC=Western Digital Corporation

lots of fancy letters and numbers=model number

Grab Western Digital's diagnostics from...here (Grab the CD iso)
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Okey dokey, thank you.

Now, for some reason it is restarting randomly, not freezing. I can't tell if this is an improvement or a negative thing. I don't know why. Here's what I did for it to change:

1. Changed the graphics card out for the exact same one, because the old one "broke".
    2. Updated DX9/10.

Any suggestions?

Also, really fast: could these problems be being caused by a faulty PSU?

Scratch that, it's freezing again.

I don't have any idea why it could be freezing, drivers up to date, I swapped the video card. The only five hardware issues it could be are:

Sound Card
    CPU
    RAM
    HDD Drive
    PSU

Other than that, I can't think of anytihng. I don't think it's overheating, either.

Ok. Ran memtest and HDD diagnostics. Both passed. So it's not the RAM, and it's not the HDD drive.

So here's the summary. My computer has been freezing and locking up whenever I run games. I have all my drivers up to date (according to this site: http://driveragent.com/?PHPSESSID=ts...2apj27m7mpcg1), and it seems that the computer is not overheating. So. What is the problem?

I downloaded speedfan, and it says that Temp3 is 102 Celsius! It doesn't say exactly what temp 3 is, but thats way too high.
    Last edited by mxer394; 08-19-2008 at 02:36 PM.

What does the BIOS say?

Any third party program is prone to misrepresenting/misreporting/just plain wrong...

It says CPU temp is 37 and internal temp is 40.

I think this monitor application is wrong, for some reason it says that some things are in the negative celsius. But I think it might be a temperature problem. When I opened the case and blew a fan on it, COD 4 ran for almost 30 minutes. It didn't even restart, but I turned it off and tried it using it with the case closed, and it failed about 10 minutes in.

Ok, I'm going to try something to see if this helps. Here's a checklist I made up, I'm going to do things in this order, if you see something that needs to be changed, let me know.

1.Reinstall Windows
    2. Activate Windows online
    3. Install all Windows Updates
    4. Insert EVGA disc
    5. Insert Asus disc
    6. Check drivers using this site ( http://driveragent.com/?PHPSESSID=ts...2apj27m7mpcg1) and update them manually from the manufacturers site
    7. Download COD4 and Unreal Tournament 3, along with Supreme Commander
    8.Install Rivatuner, turn up GPU fan speed.
    9.Install Latest Version of DX9/10
    Test computer using all 3 games.

Any suggestions? Should I do things in a different order or should I do something additional?

Reinstall Windows...then the basic drivers...then update Windows...then update the chipset/video drivers with the latest versions.

It's sort of a catch-22, Windows updates can mess with drivers and drivers can replace files that Windows updates have updated (although there is less of that these days because Windows has gotten much better are keeping track of file versions and it is very noticeable/difficult to replace a newer version with an older one). Always use the most recent drivers form the manufacturer...Nvidia, etc.

The latest DX version is probably not needed...but double check version info. and if you do need it, do it before the video drivers.

But, if you are having no problems with it running open with a fan, then all of that is kind of pointless until you get the cooling problem ironed out.

How do you propose I cool the computer better?

I moved it up from under my desk into the open, and I also took some of the covers off the case fans, I stepped up GPU fan speeds to 100%. I need a cost effective way to cool it better. Better case fans?

What do you have for a CPU fan? What about a case/PSU fan?

If you want the easiest... yet kinda lame idea, just put a box fan next to it blowing right at it....
    Intel Quad - 2.66ghz OCed to 3.1ghz
    4GB DDR2 800mhz RAM
    500gb Maxtor 7200RPM
    Nvdia 9500 GT (Upgrading soon...)
    Windows XP

What do you have in it, in the way of case fans...size, location and air flow direction?

How are the cables/wires routed? Drives arranged?

Any 'short circuits' in the air flow?

Thread Information