Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: No OS Works!

No OS Works!

Hi everyone, I got a serious problem with my PC here. It's a Dell E521, built at Dell.com with Vista Home Basic originally installed. The thing wrong with it is... I can't get any OS to work!

At first (in a previous thread I made), Vista was lagging horribly for who knows what reason. So I figured why not reformat to XP? Well, XP worked for a day. Yes, exactly one day, and decided not to boot. So I go back to Vista for a month, when it starts to lag again.

All I really care about on this PC is its ability to play WoW, and I found out that Ubuntu can run it with Wine. So I installed that, and all went well. For 3 days. Now Ubuntu won't start and I have to try Vista again.

But wait! I put in the Vista disc, try to install it, and what do you know... It won't run whatsoever! The farthest I got it to go was when it says "Windows is preparing to run for the first time." Because after that, it tells me Windows won't boot because of some hardware or software changes or something. Is my hard drive broken? Because all I'm able to run is this Ubuntu LiveCD.

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Um...how old is it?

It may be time to exercise your warranty...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Wow... uh. Not really sure what to tell you. Hard Drive corruption? Only thing I can think of... but its not custom built so just contact Dell. Ask to speak with a manager if you get some crappy customer service guy... sometimes it works and you get a knowledgeable tech that actually speaks english...

Sorry about the delayed response, and thanks for your answers. The computer is about 2-3 years old. I just tried to install Windows XP again and the BSOD came up saying "Unmountable_Boot_Volume." I searched Google and came up with this. I'm going to try it now and tell you if it works.

If you are coming up with that error right off a clean install, you either have a bad hard drive or need to load SATA drivers during the install.

It could be a bad SATA/IDE controller, too...

But, with the 'acting up' you described in your first post and the drive error, I'd be leaning toward hard drive failure. Grab the drive manufacturer's diagnostics and use them...grab a bootable CD ISO version, if available.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Alright, well... I was going to do that fix thing I linked, but I don't have a Recovery Console CD. So I tried to install Vista, and it worked. Only thing is that it takes a little long to boot. Maybe 3-4 minutes.

@Sylvander: I've been there, but it didn't help very much. Thanks though.

@mjc: I was looking at hard drive failure as well. I'm thinking of buying a new one. Before I jump straight to that though, I need to be 100% sure the hard drive is the problem. I'm sure it is since everything in the Ubuntu LiveCD I have is perfectly fine. Including the Memtest in it; I ran it and it passed with no problem, so the RAM's fine.

If I buy a hard drive and it doesn't work, can I bring it back to the store (Best Buy)?

"I don't have a Recovery Console CD"
    Inside this zip file is an ISO file [if I remember right] for making a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

To be honest, I don't want to use Windows XP. It caused too many problems for me on my current PC. Right now Vista's working with what seems to be a little lag. Yesterday, it didn't boot and told me that there were some hardware or software changes. So I tried to boot again and it booted.

I have the opportunity today to get a new hard drive. If that's what the problem is with my PC (it must be), then I'm getting a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Relemsis View Post
    Yesterday, it didn't boot and told me that there were some hardware or software changes. So I tried to boot again and it booted.
    Looks like it may be time to look at changing the CMOS battery...

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    Looks like it may be time to look at changing the CMOS battery...
    ...That, and the hard drive.

By the way, I currently have a Samsung HD160HJ/P.

Alright, uh... New hard drive it is. I'm going to post back and tell you guys what happens when I get it (and it'll be soon, since I started school again and need this computer).

What do you know... Now I can't run my Ubuntu LiveCD. It just chose to stop working completely.

This thing is fried. I have no idea how, but it's pretty bad and I don't know how to repair it. I'm never buying a Dell PC again. Here's a pretty darn good PC I found that I may buy: HP Pavilion m8530f

Thank you guys for trying to help. If you can figure out how I can fix this thing, I'll save $730. Otherwise I'm getting this new PC soon because I need one for school really bad.

You should build not buy... HP/Dell etc are more expensive then building. And if you don't know how to build... you can find someone else to do it for you for a fee... it will still be cheaper. I'd be willing to...

Like that HP? Probably about $550 - $600 worth of parts of newegg. (Rough estimate)
    Intel Quad - 2.66ghz OCed to 3.1ghz
    4GB DDR2 800mhz RAM
    500gb Maxtor 7200RPM
    Nvdia 9500 GT (Upgrading soon...)
    Windows XP

Thread Information