Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: system not booting up or locking up shortly thereafter

Post system not booting up or locking up shortly thereafter

I just reformatted my system and finally got win95 reinstalled. Prior to this, the hard drive was replaced because it would not boot up or would boot up and then "hang" within a few minutes of running (according to the pros, that was the problem). Well, the problem still happened, but not as frequently, until lately. I have not installed any new hardware or software. When they installed the new drive, they did a "mirror" of my old hard drive..and I wonder if the "error" was copied to the new one? I have a P100, 2g hd. The only thing currently installed is win95. I don't know where to start. I can not keep it running long enough to install any diagnostic programs before it locks up (everything). How do I know if the hard drive is dead? I have never gone to a board like this...and I hope I have not posted in the wrong area. Thanks for any direction.

my recommendation first of all is to boot into dos prompt screen or use a startup disk to get to dos prompt screen and run scandisk and defrag. When running scandisk, type in "scandisk /all" at the c: prompt, and let it run a surface scan (takes awhile). Then, when that is done, run "defrag" from teh c: prompt. If both of those go off without a hitch, and the problem still persists, I would reformat again, and don't mirror not working drive onto a working drive... sounds like asking for trouble to me.

------------------
    Joe Redd
    MCP
    Joe Redd

Blog Entries

Intermittent or Start Up/Shut down freezes are some of the toughest to troubleshoot. Get ready for a long ride, but don't format yet.

1. Remove everything formm the Start Up folder, I usually create a temporary folder and drag them into it so they can be easily replaced later if needed. You can find out if it's related to the Start Up folder contents by holding the [Shift] key until Windows boots. This bypasses the Start Up folder.

2. Use the F8 key when booting, and choose Step By Step Confirmation press Y for these:
    Load Doublespace driver
    Process the System Registry
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
    Load the Windows Graphical User Interface
    Load all Windows Drivers

Press N for all other lines.

See how it runs. Then add one thing at a time each time you boot, until the problem starts again. Remember to write down all changes, so it's easy to change them back.

3. Go to Start\Run and type sysedit and open the win.ini file. Look for any Load= and Run= lines. Place a semicolon ( ; ) and a space before each. Save changes and exit sysedit, reboot. Add one thing at a time each boot until the system starts to hang again.

Start up/Shut Down Troubleshooter might help too.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Smile

I might add that this computer seems to "forget" how to boot up if it is left off for a couple of days. After many re-boots, it seems to "learn" how again. It has run now for about 24 hours, after I did some changes in the BIOS, like slowing down the boot time etc..changes that were suggested in the trouble shooter area. I'm going to be out of town for a week or so, will be anxious to see if it remembers this time.

Pete, I will try your suggestions on my return. I really don't want to format it AGAIN, twice is enough in the last couple of days. As for start up, Win95 is the ONLY thing installed on it right now. I want to be sure it is running ok before adding other programs.

Thanks for the help!!

Becca

Well..I am back to square one. My system did not boot up the first three times I turned it on. It came up once and locked up within about 3 minutes and now I can't get it to boot up at all..in fact, I'm not even sure the hard drive turns..I'm lost again.

Becca

Blog Entries

OK, go to my site below, and look for the BIOS Survival Guide, go through your BIOS and check all the settings against their recommendations. If you make any changes, make them one at a time and write down everything you do so it can be changed back easily. Test the system for a while before making more changes.

A couple things I can think of to check:

System BIOS Shadow should be enabled, Video BIOS Shadow enabled, C8000-CBFFF Shadow etc all disabled, Internal and External cache enabled, Video Pallette snoop disabled, Video BIOS cacheable enabled, Video Pallette Snoop disabled.

PCI configuration usually works well set to auto, disable automatic Power Management.

See if you can boot to a Win 95 Start Up disk, and take a look at the autoexec.bat and config.sys files, post their contents here. Need to see those if possible. Also you can check the bootlog while at the command prompt, it might give you some good info. Anything that says "Failed" POst it here.

Use the edit command to open and view these files.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information