Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: P4 3200MHz overclock

P4 3200MHz overclock

Ive never done it. I want to do it. Is it worth it if im not going to keep it up all the time?

Another question about my processor, where would i find the chipset? im thinking of buying a new motherboard and i want to get the right one.

Blog Entries
    At 3.2 GHz, P4's and PD's were getting to the end of their capabilities. You can successfully OC them, but it takes a lot to push them much further than a puny 5%. Air cooling is tricky since those CPU's are already really hot, but it can be done. Water cooling is by far preferred since you have a chance to push them into the 4 GHz range, which is needed to get a measurable performance gain out of NetBurst!

In the end, however, your mileage may vary and we officially do not endorse OC'ing as a means to getting more performance out of a system. There's always the chance that you could fry one or more of your components, void warranties, lose data, blow fuses, etc etc. Conversely, there's NOT always a chance that you will gain more performance. That's why OC'ing is still more of an art than a science. It gets easier all the time, but there are still no guarantees whatsoever.

Your second question about a supporting mobo for your P4 begs additional questions from us. If you don't already have a mobo for an old P4 CPU, why bother using it at all?? P4's are far out-stripped by the latest Intel and AMD CPU's in every benchmark. Why build a system around an old CPU when you can build a system around a new CPU?

What's your budget for a new mobo? and I agree with saphalline, you should get a new cpu, you can pick up a cheap intel core 2 duo, or pay a little more for the Intel Core 2 Quads. At newegg.com I seen a core 2 duo for about 119.99 and the core 2 quads are about 189.99. as for the mother board, a rough estimate of what you would be willing to spend would be nice.

If I get a new cpu, i might as well just build a new system. I dont really have the money to do that now. I just want more options when it comes to choosing how much RAM and what kind of video card i can use.

Blog Entries
    It is quite rare to see LGA 775 mobo's that don't have both PCIe and DDR2 support. It is even more rare to see a Socket 478 mobo that does have either of these. And since 478 is dead to all but eBay these days...

You may be stuck with what you have. What socket does your P4 use?

my original question was how to find out what the socket was. Im not sure what it is.

Blog Entries
    Ok, so you're doing an upgrade? Is that what's going on here??

I'm not entirely certain what your end goal is. Could you give us a more complete picture of what you have and what you want to do?

Why don't you provide us with as complete specs on your p4 machine as you can...

One of the apps listed here can be of great help with that...

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=6

(I like SIW and CPU-z)
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information