Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: System Sounds Like its Booting but Monitor is not Responding. ....PLEASE HELP

Post System Sounds Like its Booting but Monitor is not Responding. ....PLEASE HELP

I have an older p166mmx box that I have been having the same problem with for the longest time now. I hit the power on button, the system sounds like it is booting and the led indicators on the cd,floppy etc are responding as the system communicates with them.....however (this is where it gets nasty)the monitor will not display an image. I know it is not the mntr since I run it with no problem on another box. The mntr that I have has a led that is yellow in color when the system is powered off and upon power up the led changes to green in color. During and after boot up the led stays yellow and the mntr does not go on. Is this a power issue. I must add that I have checked the video card in another box and it did power up with image on a mntr, and I also tried putting the video card into another pci slot, so I don't think it is a video issue. I have had problems with the power supply in the past. I am thinking it may be fried. Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated. This has been bothering me for over a year. Thanks.

------------------
    Bob
    Bob

I wouldn't be too suprised if something broke on your motherboard. I just had an old computer just stop working on me too! Its really annoying and i cant figure out why!
    "A BOX is merely an imperfect CUBE"

Wink

Are you getting a single beep that indicates that you have sucessfully booted? If not, check RAM.

------------------
    Lynn

Sounds to me like a bad motherboard. Lynn's right, though. Are you getting the usual one beep, a series of beeps, or nothing? If nothing, I'd suspect RAM and then the motherboard.

It doesn't sound to me like the power supply. If that were dead you shouldn't be getting any power indications on the CD, etc. and you wouldn't hear the fan.

Now that you mention it, I don't get a beep upon boot up. Does this mean that it is a ram issue, or may it still be a motherboard problem?

------------------
    Bob
    Bob

Blog Entries

Motherboard would be most likely. They do go bad...

If you've had power supply trouble before, it could also be that. Have you tried another power supply? If not, older AT power supplies can be found at resale shops pretty cheap, but you have to buy the whole computer to get one. I've used power supplies out of 286 machines to run Pentiums, as long as it's at least 200w it should work for test purposes. No need to bolt it into the case, set it on top and hook up just the main power plugs and floppy. All you need is to see if it will boot, and get a picture.

Also check for "socket creep". Chips that are mounted in sockets on the motherboard will gradually creep out of place due to expansion and contraction over time. Ground yourself on a bare metal spot on the case, then press every chip on the board back into its socket. Pull and reseat every card, maybe clean the contacts with a red rubber pencil eraser. Be sure you're grounded on the case when pulling all cards, especially the memory chips. Pull and reseat the CPU a few times too, very carefully...Don't even think about trying to clean the pins though...except with spray contact cleaner, and NOT when it's hot!!

Try another CPU if you can get one to test with, bad CPU could do the same thing...or try yours in another machine. Triple check the jumper settings if you have to change them, and write down the old settings.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Would it be safe to assume then that I am dealing with one of the following components: cpu,ram,or motherboard? CAn I rule out the power supply? It is booting the system and the fan is running. The leds on the floppy,cd,etc...are coming on. There is no beep on startup so it could be the ram I guess. I am in a situation were a replacement cpu fan and ram shouldn't cost more than 100 bucks. But if I can avoid buying one of these components I would rather do that. I guess what I am looking to do is narrow down the problem.

------------------
    Bob
    Bob

Blog Entries

It could be any of those, and the power supply as well. Getting no beeps makes me think motherboard or CPU, but still no way to really tell without replacing parts. That's the worst thing about problems of this type, if you don't have spare parts sitting around it gets really expensive to narrow the problem down, since the only way I know of to prove it's the motherboard or CPU is to swap them out and try different ones.

Depending on the type of memory you're using and how much of it you have, you might be able to pull half of it and swap chips around and see if you have one bad chip. Don't try to boot to Windows, just see if it will come up long enough to get a picture or not. Even if it's 72 pin, usually it will at least run long enough to give you a memory error if you only use one chip. I would try to use 2 though if it's 72 pin...Takes 2 per bank.

------------------

Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

In my opinion, I would first check RAM. This is a common symptom of bad RAM or RAM that is not seated properly. My next thought would be the motherboard. I agree with Rayista, you wouldn't hear the CPU fan if the power supply were bad.

------------------
    Lynn

Blog Entries

I agree that RAM is a good possibility, but if the power supply is bad, that doesn't mean the CPU fan won't work. The CPU fan runs on the 12 volt side, while most of the motherboard runs on the 5 and -5 volt side. If only the low voltage is not going through, the fan will still work, while the CPU and motherboard won't. They are separate circuits.

Memory could well be it, I had one give me a similar problem recently. Replaced the memory chips, it worked. The people who suggested RAM already may be right.

------------------

My Photography

first off you shold try a think what you were doing before the problem started? you know you could just try hooking you system up to a friend's monitor one with a better resolution than your monitor an see if anything is coming up if it does the speaker for your motherboard is either defective or reversed if it loads you can now check to see weather it a resolution problem you said you had an older system so im assuming you have and older monitor and you might have change the setting to a resolution your monitor cannot handle chage it back to original config and save it......... if it doesnt load then i would have to lean toward it being a ram issue where pete left off but i would definately try another monitor before i rush out a get new ram mainly because it doesn't cost you a dime

[This message has been edited by jangolion (edited 10-05-2000).]

Blog Entries

Might be a good idea. The monitor has been checked on another system, but the system hasn't been checked on another monitor, from what I can tell.

Also check the video card on another system. No need to install drivers, or boot to Windows, just boot to the first two boot screens and see if you get a picture, then shut it down. It will go that far without changing drivers.

The [Pause] key will halt the boot process at any point, so you can be sure you don't boot too far and let Windows try to load new drivers.

Let the monitor warm up for a minute or two before trying to boot, and if you don't have a picture within about 10-20 seconds, shut it down.

------------------

My Photography

listen: i know this is going to sound stupid, but i had my monitor suddenly stop displaying when i booted up the other day, and it turned out that the on/off button ON THE MONITOR had somehow been pressed, turning the monitor off. usually it boots automatically when i press the on/off button on the cpu. maybe the monitor works on one of your systems bec that system is configured to automatically turn on the monitor, whereas the other system requires you to turn the monitor on separately. if your monitor has a manual on/off button, i'd guess you've already tried this, but i cdn't resist bringing it up bec in my experience sometimes the simplest things get overlooked....don't flame me, i'll just accept a chilly silence as an adequate rebuff if you think i'm being totally irrelevant and stupid.

Blog Entries

hehe...done that more than once myself jajm...Wasted 2 hours troubleshooting once too, and someone else finally walked over and pushed the power button on the monitor...

------------------

My Photography

i had the same problem before. all i did was simple, i checked the female/male connector of the monitor cable to see if the pins are in the right holes. to my surprise, i noticed one of the pins was bent so check your cpu if the connector is male. if so, check if anyone of them are bent and possible not in the right hole.

Thread Information