Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: AVG Corruption Fix

AVG Corruption Fix

Some of my installations of AVG have been corrupted, after runming fine for a while. The problem is in an update CFT file/script. Here's a fix that works well and is EASY:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/er...anti-virus-80/

Pop Pop
    ===========
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks. Handy to know even though I've nearly stopped using AVG for a number of reasons. It was just great as version 7 but 8 seems prone to a number of bugs and possible slow-downs on some systems.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by pop pop View Post
    Some of my installations of AVG have been corrupted, after runming fine for a while. The problem is in an update CFT file/script. Here's a fix that works well and is EASY:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/er...anti-virus-80/

I have had a similar problem of late, and have spent a lot of time re-installing AVG, but to encounter the same problems. It is version 8. I am of two minds if I should delete it completely. Is it just pressure to make one purchase the non free version/s?
    Stefanus

"errare humanum est"

I tried version 8 in a couple PCs and later put 7 back in. I went back to version 7 in all of my PC's and laptops due to the problems with v8
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Is it just pressure to make one purchase the non free version/s?
    Well one would think it was just the opposite. Who would be encouraged to pay for a buggy product when the whole idea of the free version for domestic users is to get it the greatest widespread acceptance.

Unfortunately unless Grisoft get their act together and cut down on errors they will start to lose the significant market share they have rightly built up over the years.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Grisoft seems to suffer a sort of 'even numbered' version 'degrade'...

Version 3 (the first one I was familiar with) was pretty good, for the time period. 4 was not as good. 5 was much better than 4. Six kind of sucked and had problems. 7 is probably the best of the lot. 8 really sucks.

I stopped pushing it at 6, but updated the machines I had it on to 7. I took one look at 8 and quit...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post

I stopped pushing it at 6, but updated the machines I had it on to 7. I took one look at 8 and quit...

Think I will follow suit...
    Stefanus

"errare humanum est"

Thread Information