Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: DVD RW drive problems

Exclamation DVD RW drive problems

friends dvd drive seems to read but douse not show up in my computer, and in device manager shows a cation, i'v tried replacing the dvd drive but still the same prob.
    also his Internet has stopped working !

his specs,
    windows home
    amd 2ghs
    1 gig ram
    geforce 6600

any advice on this prob would be much appreciated

It could well be the upperfilters lowerfilters problem/registry tweak.

Download cdgone.zip from http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm and then unzip and run the cdgone.reg file to remove these two entities from your registry.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

thanx paul
    now it sees the drive in my computer, and in device manager,
    but now it doesn't read the disc, it just says insert disc!

You will maybe have to try some other disks including a pressed retail cdrom disk (as opposed to a diy cdr or cdrw). If still not recognised then the cd drive may well be faulty or dirty.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

more probs

ok paul i tryed some other discs with the same probs (insert disc)
    so i disconected my dvd drive and conected the faulty drive.
    got a NTLDR IS MISSING, so reconected my dvd and now my rig wont boot
    a little help please before i explode

Double check that the relevant hard drive is set as the first boot option in the BIOS setup.

There were obviously other problems with the PC since internet access was compromised and malware must be a possibility. You might want to try and see if you can get in with Safe Mode (F8 during startup). If all that fails the decision of what to do next depends on how important it is to recover anything from the installation.

yes mate malware is a issue on this PC, avg found 12 Trojans.
    the plan was to format his PC but was unable to with the DVD drive issue

after trying the DVD drive in my rig and receiving that NTLDR error, so googled it and there was sum reference to the ribbon cable may have been disturbed, so tried to replace it as it did look very brittle.
    needed to remove the gpu (VERY TIGHT) and think i may of snapped the PCB where the power inserts into the hdd
    so its now in the shop to be repaired as i have pulled out all of my hair and swallowed the last of my Valium, lol

thanks for all the friendly help.
    will post the outcome

good luck to you

ok so it turns out that the option in the BIOS setup was the prob on my rig.

The prob with my friends pc is still the same.
    in my computer the drive is visible but wont read any discs
    the aim is to format and reinstall a clean copy of windows

with is the easiest way to do this

the aim is to format and reinstall a clean copy of windows

with is the easiest way to do this
    Boot to the installation CD and choose new installation. Follow the prompts till you get to choosing a partition. Choose it and choose to format it. Follow the prompts.

Thread Information